Saturday, August 25, 2018

Barbacoa

This is a recipe that recently popped up in my blog feed. It's from Robyn who blogs over at Add a Pinch. Here's a link to her recipe  Easy Barbacoa.

I've found several of her recipes to be keepers and this is the newest addition to my favorite recipe file. I'm sharing it here as well so the kids will have a record of it. I made a few changes, mostly omitting the cilantro. I've found that folks have strong opinions about cilantro. They either love it or leave it and we're in the leave it category. I also didn't add the salt, used less Cumin and Oregano, and I added cheese, broccoli slaw and a drizzle of Guacamole Salsa on top. Oh, and the entire can of chipotle chiles and adobo sauce. 😀 I also seared my roast in a little bit of butter, seasoned with some Montreal Steak Seasoning before popping it into the crock-pot.


Barbacoa

1 large roast (I used a Chuck roast that was probably 5#)
1/4 C butter
Montreal Steak Seasoning
1/2 C beef broth
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
4 cloves finely chipped garlic
1 small can Chipotle chiles in Adobo sauce (these are spicy so just add 1 or 2 if you don't want a                                                                                good kick)
2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Oregano

tortillas
grated cheese
broccoli slaw
guacamole salsa

*Melt 1/4 C butter in saute pan. Sprinkle roast with Montreal steak seasoning. Brown on both sides. Add roast to crock-pot.
*Mix broth, apple cider vinegar, chopped garlic, Chipotle chiles in Adobo Sauce, Cumin, Chili Powder, and Oregano in small pitcher or bowl. Pour over roast. Cook on low for 8-9 hours. Remove. Shred. Serve in tortillas or on hamburger buns.

I've always cooked and I feel like we've always eaten pretty healthy, but lately we've been stepping it up a notch. No diets. Just a lifestyle change towards simpler, fresher, and healthier. One of the things I have tried to give up is flour tortillas. I like to make them from scratch, but with just the two of us, we don't need many and they, as well as the ones from the store, are almost 200 calories a piece. I found these the other day.

                                             

60 calories. Still cutting back, but there are only 8 in a pack and I can have one and not feel like I'm canceling out my morning walks. Homemade they are not, but they're not bad.

I'm thinking you could easily make this in your Insta-pot as well, but I don't think my roast would have fit.

3 comments:

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

We are definitely LEAVE IT when it comes to cilantro. This sounds like something I will fix when the kids come. I'll serve it on home made rolls!

Chris said...

We've been using those tortilla, too, and really like them. We try to eat healthy, too, and mostly cook at home.

Deloris Eldredge said...

How do I Re subscribe to your blog?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...