Tuesday, February 19, 2019

For Love of a Horse Baby Quilt

Our girl's best college buddy and her husband are expecting their first child. Back when she graduated, I made this quilt for her:

                                                       

Now that she's moved to Iowa, I wish I had made it in flannel. Brrr...

She and our girl share a special bond with horses so I knew this special quilt needed horses and I've been saving and hoarding this sweet fabric for years:


I used this pattern:

                                Ritzy Bitsy Babies Quilt Pattern<BR>It's Sew Emma #ISE-108

And changed it up a bit in order to keep the focus on the main print. Then I started pulling fabrics from my stash:


I love this part! After a collaboration with my favorite quilt adviser I settled on this:


And in no time, I had the top pieced, and backed it with a pink Minkee,


Sandy, Jackie's daughter quilted a design called Chantilly Lace. and I chose to bind it with the black-white dot:


Then life got busy and it took me forever to get it bound, but it's finally finished!


Perfect timing though because sweet baby Sloan just arrived and our girl has secured tickets and is flying up for a visit, a hug, and lots of baby snuggles in a few weeks:


This little pony quilt finished at 45x45 and I hope it will be loved and treasured. I love giving quilts as gifts, but they come with one caveat: They must be used and loved.


    

No putting them back for safekeeping. When this ones wears out, I'll make another!

                             

10 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ohhh so sweet!!!

Tired Teacher said...

It's an adorable quilt.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a thoughtful gift! She is sure to love it.

Theona said...

Adorable! I'm with you--quilts need to be loved and used!

Nancy said...

What a great quilt, Karin. Minkee will make it even cuddlier.

Shelly said...

So cute! I have some of those children's cowboy prints, and need to use them up in something cute like that!

Janet O. said...

A great use of the cute cowboy print in a baby quilt. I wish I was as good at getting baby quilts made for people as you are!

Donna said...

Cute quilt! Love that hot pink minky!

Ruth said...

I love the horse's shadow with ears on the quilt that says someone is checking out that cowboy print. That horse just looks like he is saying, "Hmm, I like this, wait,
what? You want me to look at you for a picture? Here I am!"

juliehallfeldhaus said...

I love that horse print! I am going to have to try and find it! Fun to look at all I've missed! You are a busy girl:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...