Friday, February 22, 2019

Tail Feathers Quilt for Chris

Last Spring I realized that I needed to have a couple masculine quilts in my arsenal so I ordered this pattern, thinking it might fit the bill:

                                              

I pulled fabrics from my stash and later found a backing:

                                            

Then, recently, our girl shared news that our mechanic's son was diagnosed with leukemia and was beginning treatments. I called my friend, C, as they too are friends with his dad, Mark. We both wanted to do something. I already had this quilt pieced and C has a long arm so we combined our ingredients and now have a finished quilt for Chris. Sometimes DH asks me, "Who are you making this one for?" My answer, "I don't know just yet, but God does so I'm just stitching prayers into it."

C quilted this perfect, fun, wavy pattern over it

    

and bound it with a blue Grunge that she already had made into binding for another quilt. The backing came from Whittle's a while back:


I made the lap size.  At 60 x 72, I thought that'd be a good size for snuggling up with for naps and during treatments. Everyone knows those hospital blankets aren't worth a plumb nickle.

We met at Mark's on Thursday morning to hand it off as he was leaving to see Chris that morning:


We sent him off with the quilt and hugs and prayers. Chris and our girl are also friends. Chris is working through school to become a chiropractor and he's less than 2 hours from our girl so she's making plans to check in on him as well. I wish there wasn't a need to make quilts for reasons such as this, but I am sure glad to be able to gift them when such a need arises.


11 comments:

Dorian said...

It's a great quilt Karin. You two did a beautiful job. My prayers to Chris.

Donna said...

I think it’s wonderful you have the tops ready for occasions like this. Sometimes it is hard to get a quilt made when such an occasion (good or bad) pops up. Someday I hope to be this organised! Bless your heart!

Sherrill said...

I LOVE it!! A relatively simple pattern and looks perfect for a guy. I'm betting he loves it.

Tired Teacher said...

Chris will love this quilt and the healing hugs and prayers.

Janet O. said...

A great guy quilt--I love it! What a good thing you did in collaboration here. I love your reply that God knows who it is for, and you just stitch prayers into it. Wonderful!

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful quilt. I saw this pattern on Pinterest last night. They are calling it "Birds in the Window." No matter what it's called, it's perfect for this purpose.

Caitlin said...

This makes me cry. Thank you for doing this for everyone who pops up in my life. <3

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

The peaceful feeling of being enveloped in a quilt made by a friend is a wonderful thing, Karin. Bless you for being so thoughtful.

The Joyful Quilter said...

That quilt turned out SEW well!! It is sure to be a comfort to the patient.

Shelly said...

Beautiful quilt. Sad reason. I pray his treatment is 100% successful.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I love that - I don't know who yet - but God does - Karin!! that is beautiful! What a great quilt too - He will love it - Prayers for healing for him

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...