Friday, August 30, 2019

Learning Patience

I don't often talk about health issues here and truth be told, we've been very blessed and neither of us have any complaints other than the normal wear and tear that reminds us that we are no longer 20. I've only had one small outpatient procedure - small procedure - big bill! DH had a rough patch when he had a bulged disc pushing on his sciatic nerve a few years ago, but we've generally been able to steer clear of doctors. Neither of us takes any medication unless you count fish oil and vitamin C and DH takes some joint supplements that I may start taking. We try to eat healthy and are trying to slim down (constant struggle) - I don't bake anymore unless I'm cooking for others or have company, but the slim down process is S-L-O-W. It doesn't help that my knee is keeping me from my daily walks and really just about anything else right now.

We have a sports medicine / orthopedic clinic in town and on the 12th I called to make an appointment. The earliest I could get in was the 22nd. X-rayed knee. Good news - no broken bones. Made an appointment for an MRI a few days later.


Good news. No torn ACL, LCL, or meniscus. But a chunk of bone or cartilage is floating around in my knee joint so appointment has been made to have it scoped...on the 17th. Sigh. The surgeon is going to be out for 2 weeks and that's the earliest slot. Official diagnosis until he gets in there is 'internal derangement of the knee', which is kind of a catchall phrase for something's amiss. Grateful it's not an emergency, but frustrated that simple things like stepping into the shower, or pickup, or even britches is an ordeal. Getting up after sitting or lying down makes me want to cry. I followed DH around at Sam's on crutches (I'm becoming a crutch champ), but let him navigate the grocery store solo after this latest appointment.

I don't watch much tv, participate in social media, or play any games on the computer. But I can hobble around and keep up with the laundry, cook, and keep the dust bunnies from staging a mutiny although I'm not very graceful while attempting to do so. Sewing is not fun because it hurts to swivel in my chair, reach for anything, or get up and down.

In the big scheme of things, this is not a big deal. So many are facing much more serious challenges.
 My current situation has allowed me time to read and pray and ask the Lord what he wants me to learn in the midst of this season. The first thing I heard was, "Patience, my child". So I sigh.

And smile.

And sit as His feet.

And that alone is a blessing like no other.

17 comments:

Donna said...

Hope you feeling better soon! Take it easy! I know it’s hard!

Dorian said...

Good morning Karin,

So glad you got to the Drs. And so glad it isn't worse than it is. I hope your procedure goes smoothly and you'll be up taking those long, long walks real soon. In the meantime, enjoy being able to be lazy and read ;) Take care!

Anonymous said...

I have had knee trouble for nine years. I took walking for granted till the right one gave out. I do better in summer w/sun but winter cold kills it. Been on meds for a long time and NOW the prospect is knee replacement. Those who have had it say I will be grateful AFTER all the get there to it but I don't know. As we age I guess it 'falls down or falls off'. Feel better but I doubt it. Today is a good day for me...sun.

Gina said...

God is good!
I know how you feel. I had to have surgery on one foot and twice on the other. In total I was laid up for a year and a half. 😊
When you are in the midst of it it seems like forever. Hang in there!

Gina
Alabama

Sheila said...

How wonderful that you are able to look to Him and hear what He has for you in this season. Praying for restored health!
Sheila

Rebecca said...

Hope this goes thru... so many of my comments get lost in the ether.
I have an ointment I would love to send you ... no cdc or pot additives even though Oregon seems to be the pot capital right now.
Its an old remedy from China called White flower ointment and for some it works wonders. Send an email to ladybecket2002 at yahoo.com and I will send you a very small bottle that can last awhile. I used to buy it in the Asian Markets in San Diego... but not a lot of those here in central Oregon. Now I bring it in from Amazon (don't we all?)
Love your blog and pictures and epic meals feeding the hands.

Tired Teacher said...

It's rough to adjust to physical limitations after being so active. It sounds like you've done everything you can, so listen to the Lord as you wait for your appointment with the orthopedist.

Lindah said...

And so you "sigh and smile and sit at His feet" and I would add "thereby encouraging others to do so." In this very busy, complicated 21st century life, we all need reminders to slow down and sit at His feet. Thank you for sharing these thoughts. I hope your knee is right as rain very soon.

Quiltsmiles said...

Take care and continue to count your blessings. Your wisdom is showing that you are questioning and listening at this stage of your life. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Jane
https://quiltsmiles.blogspot.com

Shelly said...

I had to learn a lot of patience after foot surgery last year. It's hard to stay down when you're a normally active person with a lot you want to do! I hope you get fabulous results from the surgery, and you're back to your normal spry self in no time. Prayers for you. Keep us posted.

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Oh, Karin!!! I feel your pain and impatience! Praying for you to be past this life snafu. Love it when you post titles for good books. I've read every Jack Reacher book by Lee Child and hunger for more. Got real cozy with Danielle Steel and Jojo Moyes this summer and I'm reading a Debbie Macomer book and listening to another of hers, plus John Sandford's Lucas Davenport books and his Virgil Flowers series. So thankful that the garden is slowing down and I have time for books and hand stitching!! Need to sit at the machine, but my knees make it hard to get up, I'll do that on the good days. Keep sending the book recommendations!!

sandi s said...

I hope the doctors can help you feel better soon. Hugs,

barbara woods said...

Hang in their , it will get better

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Your knee is deranged!! ha ha!! That phrase really hit me funny and I don't know why - but I hope you'll laugh!! You are such a mover and a shaker this has to be hard!! Praying for you and for your quick recovery!

Ruth said...

It sounds like you have a bigger piece of cartilage than I did - mine would sometimes cause me pain and limping. The second surgery 10 years later got the last bit out, and was much easier than the first one. Good Luck, and I'm sure you will practice Patience as God suggests!

Rose said...

I hate that you are going through this...and hopefully they can do something to relieve some of the misery...

Anonymous said...

I used to pray for patience every Sunday morning in church. Then I broke my right arm (and I am right handed). I learned that my prayers need to be more specific. I didn't want to "learn" patience, I wanted just to get it. From that time on I don't ask for things. I just give thanks for what I already have. Heal quickly and fully.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...