Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Under the Needle: October - A Scrappy Finish

Another 13 hour day at the sale barn on Monday. 2 more days of cooking for the crew. A full day scrubbing down the kitchen and floors after my marathon cooking month. A 4-hr round trip to pick up our beef from the processor. And another week'll be behind us. This year is flying by.

I'll bet ya'll have given up on seeing anything sewing related from me ever again. I know it's been a while since I had a finish to share, but I finally put the last stitch in this binding


I'm combining it with my Under the Needle post since this is all I accomplished this month. This quilt started when I decided it was time to empty my bin of scrappy 2 1/2" squares a few years ago:


Don't you find that scrap bins never seem to have a bottom? I ended up making 2 pretty good-sized quilts from this little bin. The 2nd quilt will be ready as soon as I get the binding on it. I find it hard to resist a scrappy quilt. I threw everything in this one. There are fabrics I still love next to 'what was I thinking?' fabrics:


I alternated the 9 patches with navy and white hourglass blocks to give it some order and backed it with a green and white backing I found on clearance:


After a run through the washer and some time on the line to soak up the crisp New Mexico Fall sun, it finishes at 80 x 92:


And yes, I know it's unbalanced in it's design, but I'm ok with that. I like the end result - a fun, scrappy quilt that I hope will be reached for a lot in the years to come.


It's going to be 9° tonight. I think we'll be giving this quilt a test run.

16 comments:

Julierose said...

This is such a lovely finish!! I love the scrappy look and your
hourglass blocks are the perfect alternate to pull all that scrappiness together beautifully. Nice work hugs, Julierose

Ruth said...

That is a beautiful quilt! I love scrappy quilts, they are more interesting. I can't see what makes you say it is unbalanced in its design. But I am not that well-versed in color balance.

Sherrill said...

I think it's BEAUTIFUL! LOVE scrappy quilts (and love the photobombing cat..HA). 9?! YIKES! I thought 32 here was bad!! Stay warm.

Chantal said...

Yep! We all have some "what was I thinking?" fabric in the stash. You did an excellent in finding them a job. It's a lovely and who cares if it is "unbalanced"? It's still warm ... and charming. Congratulations on this beautiful scrappy finished. ;^)

Unknown said...

Be still my heart ! I now know what my next flimsy is going to be. Thank you for the great inspiration. I seem to have misplaced that little thing . lol

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I LOVE scrappy quilts and its perfect! Unless you want to name it unbalanced.... then ok ha ha - you sound so crazy busy!!!

Janet O. said...

It is a delightful scrap quilt. I love the effect of the alternate blocks you used!

Lindah said...

Yay, a finished quilt of 2 1/2" scrap squares. I keep leading and ending with them, but I have no idea what I'll do with them when my box overflows with the 9 patches. 8-p

Dorian said...

Good morning Karin! Very nice, I love the color contrast with the black in there. A nice, cozy quilt with lots of color and movement. Great job!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Great finish, so glad your knee is recovering! Happy Stitching!

Margaret said...

I love this quilt! I think you’ve just given me the pattern for my next charity quilt. Thanks so much! I hope you’re feeling much better.

Shelly said...

I'm struggling to understand what you think is unbalanced about it. It's a perfect scrappy quilt! I do love me a good scrap quilt. And I'll wager you still have a box full of 2 1/2" squares? They really ARE bottomless, you know!

Tired Teacher said...

It's beautiful! I adore scrappy quilts.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

scrappy quilts are the best! Seeing yours gives me motivation to clear out my own scrap bin.

Connie said...

Scrappy quilts are my favorite, they are so cheerful and homey. Yours is gorgeous :)

Frog Quilter said...

Beautiful and love the scrappy goodness. I may have to make one of these as I have an abundance of 2.5 blocks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...