Thursday, October 10, 2019

When the Kids Come Home...

I spend a lot of time in the kitchen:


I love making family favorites and sending leftovers back with them. Food is a love language in this home.This time around I made Chicken and Dumpling Casserole, Barbacoa, Steak, Salsa Verde Chicken Pasta, Buckaroo Bundles, Quesadillas, Taco Soup, Stew, Spicy Pickles, Baked Oatmeal, Special K Cookies, Cowboy Cookies, Pound Cake, and Auntie's Chocolate Cake for the birthday boy. Fill up a plate and pull up a chair.


We enjoyed one evening around the fire pit:


And our girl brought her 3 hound puppies home:


Meet Odin:


He's the newest member of the fur-family - and just a sweet as he can be. He's just 4 months old and thinks he's a lap dog:


Our boy was home longer and he was a big help. He mowed, put the weed eater to good use, cleaned out the oil pit one day, he and DH changed the oil in 3 pickups, and then they bailed out the oil pit a few days later when it rained:




We had some amazing rain (that deserves a separate post) which allowed us to play umpteen rounds of Spades


and endless games of Cribbage:


Cribbage and Coffee were the first order of business each morning:


Do any of ya'll play Cribbage? We've put it away for this week as we're presently knee deep in our Fall Cow Works. The kids went back on Sunday and Monday. We were sad to see them go, but grateful for the time together. Harvey has earned his spot as co-pilot on road trips:


 I worked at the sale Barn on Monday, and this week I'm back in the kitchen - cooking for a crew through Saturday.

My knee's healing and I'm finally retiring the crutches, but I've been a little frustrated that it's taking so long. My family has taken to calling me Drover, which will only make sense if you're familiar with Hank the Cowdog. It's still awfully swollen, which makes getting britches on a challenge. I'm not much of a sweatpants gal - I only have 1 pair - but after I'm done cooking for the crew, I may be pulling them out. Yes, I know I need to rest it, but it's kind of hard to cook from the recliner.

I'm taking a couple of shortcuts this week and using paper plates and I'm still making rolls for dinner, but using Pillsbury frozen biscuits in the morning.

Another thing I did was order groceries online through the Walmart Pick-up program. I figured this was a good time to give it a whirl and I have to say, I'm impressed. I'm definitely going to be using it again - maybe even on a regular basis.

So, that kind of catches ya'll up on the latest happenings at the end of our dirt road. A few more long days in the kitchen and then I'm looking forward to a long nap after church on Sunday.

12 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

I learned how to play cribbage this summer, and I love it more than I thought I would. Glad you're taking some shortcuts with groceries to save you some time on your knee. It took quite awhile for my swelling to go down, too, so be patient.

ytsmom said...

Food is love at this house too! I learned cribbage from DH's Grandpa. He was ruthless, and would take any points you missed!! Take it easy when you can!

Dorian said...

Sounds like a wonderful time with family Karin! So glad the kids got out to visit. Glad you're able to get rid of the crutches, hope the swelling goes away soon. Have a great day!

Donna said...

Odin reminds me of the hound from Hee Haw! He’s a cutie! I have never played cribbage in my life! Glad your knee is doing better, just don’t over do it! Glad you tried the Walmart food pick up. Grocery delivery is huge here in Europe and I am not sure if you can pick them up.There is a fee but based on what day and time you want the delivery so Saturday delivery is more expensive than Monday.

Violet said...

Your blog is such a treat and warms my heart. I have been following your knee surgery journey. I know I probably face that at some point in the future. They have been giving me trouble this week but I've been praying they quit acting up so I can make another drive to Colorado Monday! Off to surprise my daughter for her birthday and spend a couple weeks with the 2 and 4 year old grand kids. Even though I was just there last month...whatever. I made this road trip once before by myself and had such a good time so I'm so excited to be able to do it again. From Florida, through Alabama, Mississippi, Texas and New Mexico. She lives in Colorado Springs. Away from the heat and flat lands of Florida! I am 100% a mountain girl and I hear it's snowing up there...heaven.

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

I'm glad your knee is getting better, but it's sure to swell during all that "stove" time. Rest it when you can. Sounds like lots of good food going on at your home when the kids were there. Here's to feeding cowboys!!!!

Judy said...

I love hound dogs. Does she leave them at home when she works? I’m thankful your children were able to visit. I hope they have the love of the Lord as you do. I’m glad you are doing better. Blessings to you.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a fun time to have them all back!! and with the pups - oh my - i bet there was never a dull moment!!

Shelly said...

I'm surprised you're back at it that much! Don't overdo . . . The new pup looks adorable, but so does Harvey. You know I love them all from afar! Glad you got to have a good visit with some helpful visitors!

Sherrill said...

Oh my gosh!! That's a LOTTA dog she's got. Hope she has a big yard for all those pups! Sounds like just a wonderful few days with the kids home and I was going to say no, I've never played cribbage..looks interesting. I think taking shortcuts is called for in desperate times and a gimpy knee IS a desperate time! LOL Hopefully soon there will be a time of rapid improvement and then it will be all better!

Lindah said...

Dropping in again to catch up. So glad that you have progressed to the point of tossing the crutches, but that swelling sounds like more rest time is in order, eh? And the Walmart pickup service would seem like the best idea since sliced bread. Maybe I will investigate that here. Oh, the photos of the dog and kitten. Adorable. Great photos. I can see a sequence of those enlarged and hanging on a wall. And isn't it great to have the kids home?! Best wishes for further speedy recovery progress.

Violet said...

I love the quilt on the back of the couch that your daughter is sitting on...did you use a pattern for that?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...