Friday, December 13, 2019

Chipotle Split Pea Soup

Today I'm sharing a new recipe I made earlier this week. I changed things up just a little from the original recipe but here's a link to the original recipe:

Slow Cooker Chipotle Split Pea Soup with Ham

This was so good! I didn't have the 10 hours it called for and thought I'd attempt to Instant Pot the recipe. Success after 30 minutes! Definitely a keeper. We love the heat of the Chipotle peppers and it tastes like it's been simmering all day. Good and thick with great flavor. If you don't like heat, skip the Chipotle peppers, but we think it's what makes this soup so delicious.

So here's my version:



Chipotle Split Pea Soup

8 C chicken broth (I use the better than bouillon)
1 lb split green peas (in a bag)
1 onion, finely diced
2 large carrots, diced
3 celery stalks, diced
3 Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped, plus the sauce from the can
8 oz diced ham (I used sliced ham steaks)
pepper

I set my Instant Pot to saute and added about 3 Tbsp of butter. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and saute for a few minutes. Dump in the ham - saute a few minutes. Add the split peas, Chipotle peppers and sauce, pepper, and chicken broth. Hit the soup setting. It cooked for 30 minutes. I let it release naturally for 10 minutes and then turned the vent to quick release.

The original recipe calls for 6 cloves of garlic and we love garlic, but DH and I had an unpleasant garlic experience the day before at a restaurant and I think it'll be a while before I'll be cooking with it again.

I know ya'll are wondering so here's the story. 😊
We'd been on the road since 7 am and it was now 7 pm and we had not eaten a thing all day. We were on our way home and stopped in a town to eat at a little place that had been recommended to us. It was Tuesday night and the place was packed. We were road weary and hungry and on his best day, DH might wait 10 minutes, but they said they just needed to clear a table and we were seated. 3 other parties came in directly behind us and they were told the wait would be 40 minutes.

We both ordered a NY strip steak and a potato. Basic. Simple. Oh, and fried mushrooms. The waitress was sweet and kind. She came back a few minutes later and said they only had 1 potato. We laughed and said we'd split it. LOL. We were hungry and cleaned our plates, but talked about how the seasoning on the steaks was a tad garlicky. We were still an hour from home and I think we ate almost an entire container of mints before we hit the dirt road. We stopped at a grocery store and bought some mint chocolate chip ice cream, thinking it might cut the garlic. Brushed our teeth before even taking showers. Ate ice cream. Brushed our teeth again. Used mouthwash. And we still woke up tasting garlic. What on earth?!

Here's something funny too. We washed our hands when we arrived at the restaurant and were both perplexed when we found a complimentary mouthwash machine in the bathroom. We've never seen such a thing and couldn't figure it out. Well, apparently there is a need for such a thing. Who knew?

So, needless to say, I won't be cooking with garlic anytime soon and this soup was still amazing!



I'm so thankful that DH is a willing guinea pig - it makes it fun to try new recipes and he loved this one. His only suggestion was to add some diced smoked quail. 😋 What can I say? It's quail season and he has quail on the brain. Just please hold the garlic!

6 comments:

Janet O. said...

There is definitely such a thing as too much garlic. I had a friend who was a caterer (she passed about 8 years ago). She catered her own kids' wedding luncheons, and I helped in the kitchen for a few of them. One particular time stands out in my mind. She was a garlic lover, and she served garlic mashed potatoes at this particular luncheon. I enjoy garlic in my food and had never experienced "too much" before. But when we were cleaning up I began to be puzzled as to why so many plates still had their mound of potatoes on them. When the kitchen crew finally got a chance to eat I got my answer. The garlic was so strong in those potatoes, I couldn't take a second bite. I always wondered if both the bride and groom had the potatoes, or if just one of them did. :)
This soup sounds yummy!

Dorian said...

LOL Karin! I guess they have that mouthwash machine in there for a reason, if they use that much garlic on stuff! My dh would love that restraunt. Glad you made it safely home.

Gretchen Weaver said...

That sounds like a lot of garlic! Soup looks delicious! Hope you find some time to sew this weekend.

Sherrill said...

HA! I've never seen a mouthwash machine/dispenser thingy either!! Too funny. The soup looks good but I don't do split pea so I'll take your word for it. Also makes me think of my Sunday School teacher who doesn't like ANYTHING with a pea in it. I used to take pix of pea stuff and send to him (like when I was in Santa Fe and saw a book titled "Eat Your Peas"! HA). Or if I ran across a recipe with peas, I'd pass along to him. Not sure he appreciated the tease.

Tired Teacher said...

I like garlic but in small quantities. Several years ago, I was surprised to find a mouthwash station in a restroom, as well. I haven't seen one since.

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

It's hard to get too MUCH garlic in most dishes, so someone when way overboard! Sounds like quite an experience! Going to try the split pea soup and I will add a little garlic. 😀

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...