Monday, December 23, 2019

The 3rd Week in December

We interrupt this Christmas season to bring you more ranch life. We shipped out more calves today


so I cooked for a crew last Thursday and today. Today I made Lasagna Casserole, green beans, salad, and 5 cheese bread - courtesy of  my mom and Pepperidge Farms. 😉Everyone loves this bread with Italian meals and I like pulling out a few shortcuts when life gets busy and I think it's a little busy for everyone this time of the year, but my busy was temporarily put on hold on Saturday.

It's been about 15 at night, but sunny and 60 in the afternoons and we're very thankful for that. These unseasonably warm afternoons make feed runs downright enjoyable:


When you spend 4 hours a day in the truck feeding cattle, it can get old.


We're still missing a few in this pasture so DH glasses the terrain:


DH just doesn't like sitting that long, but out here, feed runs are just our version of a date night when I jump in with him.


 When I got back, I set to work putting the finishing touches on Christmas baking


and pulling together a pot of Black Bean Sirloin Chili when the flames died on my stove. It was dark when DH walked in and I asked him if it was possible that we were out of propane. Neither of us could imagine that being the case as the propane company comes by every couple of months to top off the tank. We have a 1000 gallon tank and they may add 350 gallons per trip, We've never run out. Well, lo and behold, the tank was empty. And on a Saturday night, there's no chance of getting any service until at least Monday. No stove. No heat. I've always said that DH is handy and clever and he hauled a tank he uses when he welds over to our main tank, hooked it up


and we were back in business.


 I was leery of how long that tank was going to last so we turned the heat way down and piled on the quilts:


Yesterday I threw the chili in the crockpot, went to church ( truly wonderful teaching on the True Christmas Story), picked up my mom from the airport, and arrived home to a warm supper and a warm home. DH had run to town with more tanks and lined them up in case we needed them. He didn't want my mom to freeze.  The propane company wasn't sure if they could get to us today, but DH had us covered. It was still a mystery as to how we could have run through that much propane. We hadn't smelled propane so we didn't think there was a leak. They showed up about 4 and the driver said he'd been reassigned to a remote location for months and the substitute driver had missed multiple customers. DH said he really should have been checking it, but they've always been reliable. But DH is always reliable and he's good at finding solutions to problems.

When he came in after hooking up the tank, he said, "Sometimes it pays to be a redneck". LOL.
He's cute, smart, thoughtful AND funny. I think I'll keep him.

8 comments:

Dorian said...

Oh boy Karin. It's so nice having handy men around :) Glad your man was able to come up with a solution. We have 2 small tanks, so have to keep an eye on things. But then, we have a wood stove too, so I can always cook on it if need be. Glad your mom arrived safe and sound. Have a wonderful Christmas.

Ruth said...

How kind of DH to not chastise the regular driver and the company people! So wonderful that a "redneck" could rummage around and provide enough propane heat to get you all through the weekend. Beautiful quilts you piled on the beds! Best Wishes!

Sherrill said...

Yikes, no time for that propane tank to go dry..glad the hubs figured out a plan! Awesome your mom got to come and know she'll enjoy Christmas with you. My dad's been gone over 30 years and mom for 19. This will be my first Christmas without my sister and my beloved cat.

Shelljo said...

Glad you have propane again, but I can’t imagine the bill! (Actually I CAN imagine the bill!) it IS nice to be able to find solutions to these kind of issues.

Judy said...

When we run out of one tank (in our trailer), we switch the go fill it. Sometimes Boondocking we want to be sure we have enough. The batteries are more of a problem. We are visiting family in California before we return to Arizona. Hope you have a nice Christmas. Blessings to you.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Have a blessed Christmas! Glad your knee seems back to normal. Hope you find some time for stitching.

Shelly said...

A handy Cowboy is a thing to treasure! So glad you didn't have to go without heat. I know how miserable that is. Merry Christmas!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh Boy!!! I am glad you had a backup!!! Merry Christmas to all of you and hope your date time was fun!!! Hugs my friend!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...