Monday, August 17, 2020

Summer Road Trips

My in-laws live 2 hours away from us and lately, DH and I have been making more of an effort to spend time with them. They live in a beautiful spot where their summers might top 90° for a week. It's not really an 'effort' to make the trip, it's just that tending to a ranch this size is pretty much a 7 day a week gig. 

His Dad turned 83 a few weeks ago and I'm so glad that we were able to spend a little bit of time with him on his birthday:


Added bonus was that our boy was able to join us as well. Here they are discussing and downloading a hunting/land owner app on Grandpa's phone:


Food is always front and center when we gather:


After all these years, I have still not gotten them to lighten up and not look so somber when I ask for a group photo. I suggested they hoist Granny up horizontally, but alas, she was not having it. 


The next week, we were up at 3 and out the door before 4 - headed back, so DH and his Dad could make a circle and scout for elk and then DH shod his Dad's horses.


So nice to watch afternoon summer showers move across the mountains


This is a nice spot to visit and work on a quilt binding:


The deck was filled with hungry hummingbirds:


I am fascinated by these busy, little birds:


May you find great joy in the little things that dart in and out of your day



11 comments:

Violet said...

I find great joy in your blog and beautiful photography...thank you.

Sally Langston Warren said...

You have some nice photographs to document your visits. I can see small smiles in the family picture! (They all look so much alike.) Your husband’s shirt will be pretty in a quilt one day! Y’all stay so busy! Humming birds are so fascinating. One time I was watching one and it came to me and was watching ME. It was actually kind of scary because it was very close to me and pointed at my face. Knowing how quickly they move, I wasn’t sure if it was going to poke me with the long beak! (Do we call that a beak? Or a bill? Neither sounds right....) Enjoyed your post...and plan to soon try your barbecue recipe. Hope your mother is doing well.

Pauline said...

Love your pictures! Amazed at how tall your boy is. Each of the men are taller than their dad. Must be something in the food or water causing it? That
yummy looking dish in the center of your table....what is it? First I thought it was a chicken dish then decided it was potatoes with a sauce. Can you
share that recipe?

The Joyful Quilter said...

What spectacular scenery your in-laws enjoy!! Looks like a lovely place to visit.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The deck looks like a heavenly place to sit and reflect on the beautiful surroundings.

Sherrill said...

WOW! Looks like your inlaws have themselves a nice spread as well!! And your boy is so tall! I know that was so nice for the in-laws having their boy, DIL and the grandkid (LOL) visiting!! I remember when we lived in CO, I had 3 hummingbird feeders on different sides of the house and the aggressive ones would spend so much time trying to chase the others away that they usually missed out on the nectar! HA And I had to fill all 3 a couple of times a day! What a nice visit for all..so sweet.

Lindah said...

How wonderful that you could spend the day with the folks. Being about their age, I know how I would appreciate a visit from my son! :-) Their vistas are so beautiful. I think I want to move next door! BTW, What do they put in their hummer drink that causes the feisty little birds to share? I finally put my feeders away because one guy was chasing all the other birds away from BOTH feeders. Nature is not always nice. The weatherman says we will have a cool down for a couple of days --I hope you will get some relief, too. Blessings!

Ruth said...

Oh, the views in your photos are So Beautiful!! Thank you!

Ruth said...

Such Beautiful views!! Especially that last one of the hummingbird facing you at the feeder! Thank you!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a pretty place!! If its the app I am thinking you downloaded - its pretty cool! And wow 3 am... I try not to see that time very often- ha ha

Shelly said...

Still laughing at the thought of them "hoisting Granny up horizontally"!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...