Monday, August 31, 2020

Lemon Cowboy Cookies

Today I'm sharing another Pinterest (more detailed information here) recipe...another cookie recipe...another lemon recipe...another keeper recipe. 😉 I made these a few weeks ago. DH was out working with his horses and came in mid-morning for a quick cup of coffee. After the first bite of cookie, he proclaimed, "Now, THAT'S a good cookie!"

Now, I know you're probably thinking, "She's sure posting a lot of lemon recipes. Just how many lemon recipes does one need"? 

The answer?

One more! 😄

Lemon Cowboy Cookies

1/2 C softened, butter
1/2 C shortening
2/3 C brown sugar
1 C sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp lemon extract
2 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 C Rice Krispies
1/2 C unsweetened flaked coconut
1/2 C candied diced lemon peel
1/2 C rolled oats

*Preheat oven to 350°. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper (sometimes I do - sometimes I don't). Have been making cookies for over 30 years without parchment paper and haven't had any complaints from cookie recipients, but maybe it keeps them from browning too quickly underneath.

Cream butter and shortening. Beat in brown sugar and sugar. Add eggs and lemon extract - mixing well. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt. Beat into butter mixture until everything is incorporated. Fold in cereal, coconut, candied lemon peel, and oats. Scoop onto cookie sheets. My cookie scoop is a staple in my kitchen. Bake 10-12 minutes.

The day before I made these it was 109°...too hot to turn on the oven. If I can't fix it on the grill or in the Instant Pot, it's not getting made, but I'm making another batch of these cookies as soon as it cools off just a bit. Around here that means anything under 100°.

Edited to add a link to the lemon peel since lots of you have asked about it. Some of ya'll may have access to stores that offer it, but we're limited here although I'm thinking I've seen it around the holidays.

Candied Diced Lemon Peel

I took some of these to my in-laws and they loved them. My MIL has already made them and sent some to her sister in Nebraska and my SIL has requested the recipe. I'm also making them again and sending some to Oklahoma and Arizona. I'm doing my best to spread the cookie love.

But I promise to step away from the lemon recipes...at least for a while. 😉 


9 comments:

Janna and Mike said...

I love anything lemon! I made the last lemon cookies you posted--they were delicious. Will have to try these. I wonder if substituting butter for the shortening would work? Did you have candied lemon peel? How is your Mom getting along?

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

LOVE lemon anything!!! 🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋

Chris said...

Hmm, these sound intriguing! Did you make your own candied diced lemon peel or did you buy it? I was all set to make these when I ran into that item and then became unsure. I'm a lemon lover!

Sherrill said...

My son always had to have a lemon cake for his birthday. Most of the family didn't enjoy his pick of cake..LOL!

Ruth said...

Oh, these look so good! I'll have to look for candied lemon peel when I go to the store...weeks from now...

Janet O. said...

These look and sound delicious!
We love all things lemon!

Sally Langston Warren said...

I have all my ingredients assembled to make this....except the candied lemon peel. I can’t find it anywhere locally. Did you? Might have to order it online.... I am not real enthused about the 4-5 hour process of making my own! Thank you for this recipe!

Nursejoan said...

I made these yesterday- they are THE Bomb! Am adding this one to my Christmas cookie repratore! I made my own candied lemon peel after not finding any in my local (Phoenix, AZ) stores. Great cookie! Thanks for sharing!

Dirt Road Quilter said...

NurseJoan - You're welcome - I'm so glad ya'll liked them! I'll bet they were even better since you made your own candied lemon peel. I ordered mine online, but I think I'll try to make the lemon peel next time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...