Friday, March 18, 2022

Settling in to Sew

I haven't sewn much since before Thanksgiving and I'm itching to start some new projects, but I had some old tops that needed some attention so I made some bindings and pieced a few backs. 


I traded Jackie some tops for quilts last week so I'm enjoying some hand binding in the evening


So when I found some unexpected free time, I was eager to dig in to something new. I floundered for a few days because I had so much to choose from, but I need to make a few more patriotic quilts and have a stack of squares left over from this quilt: 


And I am using them as leader-enders and turning them into HSTs:


I finished appliqueing the little sailboats for a baby quilt I started probably 4 or 5 years ago and handed it off to Jackie


I kind of want to use up the rest of these On Deck fabrics and I've got enough for a few more baby quilts. I like the versatility of HSTs so that's where these are headed


I also have this Sweetwater kit. I love this color combination of taupe-cream-red:


And it feels good to finally release these fabrics from their bin and move this project forward.

And then my co-worker told me that her cousin's baby was in Houston undergoing a serious surgery and I pushed everything aside because that sweet baby needed a quilt ASAP so I'm currently sewing up a storm:

2 comments:

Dorian said...

Good morning Karin, I'm glad you're finding some time to get in the sewing room. Prayers going out to your friends baby. I know a quilt will be just the thing, a warm hug whenever the parents/baby need it. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Violet said...

I think we all find ourselves in that No Quilt Zone from time to time for many reasons. I know for me; it can last from weeks to months. But I always come back around. Recently, I have been stressed about all of the unfinished quilt tops in my closet....an even dozen now. Every time I saw them, it caused me great angst. I have not made a anything in quite a while. I have been quilting now for about 7 years and hand quilting was the ONLY way to go. I used to say that machined quilts were "cheating." Not anymore. I did take 2 quilts into a shop here in town, one of them turned out great. The other one brought me to tears. I think that was mostly my fault. I didn't know what I was doing and chose the wrong thread color and wrong design, so I have no one to blame but myself. I have a double Irish chain that I am hand quilting that has been up on my frame for almost 2 YEARS! I just got bored with it. So, I am getting ready to take 2 of my tops into the shop tomorrow. It is such a weight off of my shoulders. After reading your comment about wanting to make a baby quilt in a hurry, I realized I wouldn't even have that option. It would take me weeks to months to hand quilt. That is exciting to me that I could have several quilts at the ready for anyone who might need one! Thank you for all you put into this blog. I hope that baby is doing well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...