Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Puddles!

 Yes, another weather post.  πŸ˜„ Farmers and ranchers spend their entire lives watching the weather and around here we pray for rain as often as we brush our teeth. A few weeks ago we had 0.6" here at the house and then 0.8" again last Thursday. That doesn't seem like a lot to many of you, but this desert country responds quickly to moisture of any amount and it just encourages the growth that's taken place from earlier rains. 

And the smell when it rains in the desert! Our girl says where she lives, it doesn't smell like it does here when it rains. I wish I could bottle it up. I've told DH that heaven will smell like a good desert rain. It looks brown and dirty, but it smells fresh and clean:

The first rain came fast and hard, flooding the arena

Skeet came out to celebrate with me

The chicken yard floods when it rains like this, but DH dug a little ditch that allows it to drain overnight

The poor chickens were a bedraggled site. LOL

The rains have been spotty and we're in excellent shape compared to so many so we're praying for others who are struggling to keep their cattle.

I have spent hours and hours mowing each week. Some of that is due to the rain, but we keep the bunkhouse and house yard watered and I spend a lot of time hauling hoses and sprinklers around so it's a nice reprieve for a day or two when we are blessed with rain. Most of the mowing is outside the yard, around headquarters.

This past Friday was 'release the guineas' day


They are just like chickens and will wander back into the chicken yard at the end of the day although they prefer to roost in the dead mesquite tree instead of on the roost in the coop. 

                               
                              
There are some spots I don't mow in order to give them good bug hunting grounds

   

After a nice shower, the bugs are plentiful and the chickens and guineas are on pest patrol

While Skeet specializes in puddle patrol

 
And Oliver supervises weed whacking


I'm telling you, it takes a village! LOL I'm envious of the village inhabitants that find time to nap. As for me -  I have a mower waiting for  a dance partner. πŸ˜‰


4 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I'm so glad you got some rain, green is a lovely color!

Janna and Mike said...

Very glad you've had rain!! Our area of southeast AZ has had major monsoon rains this summer, photos we are seeing show so much green!!

pbrenner said...

How wonderful that you're getting rain! I split my time between central Texas (my job) and southern Arizona (husband's job). It's been a good summer monsoon at our place in southern Arizona, while Texas has been brutally hot and dry this summer. My cousin's husband is a 5th generation cattle rancher in Montana, and he says it's really more like being a grass farmer :-) I pray that your rains continue - thanks so much for giving us a glimpse into your life!

Anonymous said...

Love the way the cats and the dog flop down together - very "peaceable kingdom"!

ceci

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...