Monday, August 29, 2022

Putting on My Assistant Hat

 Thursday morning, DH came in after he finished working with his colts and asked "Can you please come help me for a minute?" 

He was bringing up handful of cattle - a few bulls to process, some steers to vaccinate, and a couple calves to brand


Bovines - check


Our 4-legged brand inspector - check


Hot irons - check

                                    

 First in line

         

Tipping horns to keep men, horses, and other bulls safe


Then DH came in that afternoon just as I was walking into my sewing room and asked, "Can you please come help me for a minute? I just need you to move a lever." 

Well of course! I'm always happy to help, but we've been married long enough that I know 'a minute' is subject to interpretation. 😉

When I followed him out to the pens, I saw this 

He had the chute hooked up to the tractor and had moved it.

                                    

The bottom of the chute had rusted out and DH didn't want cattle getting their feet stuck and cut.

                                               

It got a good spray 

                                              

so he could better see what he was dealing with

                                         

So, I moved the hydraulic levers when I needed to, unhooked and re-hooked chains, moved support pipes, hauled and hooked up a hose, and offered moral support as he formulated a plan 

                                          

DH did all the real work and this is going to be one of those projects that's going to take a while. DH is very precise when it comes to projects like this. He's so handy and I've no doubt that the chute is going to fall apart long before the floor he installs does. 😉

4 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I know how those 'just a minute' jobs go. But someone has to move those levers. I hope you find some stitching time this week!

RuthW in MD said...

I wonder what he will do? Sounds like welding will be involved...

Caitlin said...

There isn't ANYTHING he can't do. :)

Chantal said...

I never know what I'll get when I come to read your post but it is always worth the detour down south. I'm sure DH appreciates his assistance more than he dares to admit. Just a minute of your time is a lifetime of memories to him. Love. ;^)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...