Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Buy Dirt



 I wouldn't change a thing about my life. Strong faith. Good man. Wonderful kids. Treasured grandbabies. Healthy family. Cherished life. As you know, if you've read here for any length of time, we ranch on 128,000 acres in New Mexico. We don't own it - we just manage it, but we've been with the same owner for 29 years and have stayed when they sold the ranch last year. The ranch wasn't for sale, but the folks that wanted to buy it called every month for 2 years so they finally sold it. It wasn't a surprise. We were always kept in the loop. 
 
They've been very good to us and we've always treated the land like it was our own, but it never was. We don't see them often which is a shame because they are a wonderful couple. It's been 15 years since they've been here, but they've always trusted DH to make all the decisions and we've built a good life. I can't imagine a better one.  We've always tried to be good stewards of the land and animals entrusted into our care. But somewhere, in the back of our minds, we always prayed for a small place of our own and recent circumstances and blessings have allowed us to take a turn in that direction...down a new dirt road.


To be completely honest, it's been stressful. Last year was WILD. Both kids married! We celebrated a new grandbaby! Lots of traveling for showers and receptions and ceremonies. The ranch sold last year and we've been tied up with all that that entails. Then our North Camp man passed away and we were wrapped up in that as well as helping his widow and still running this place by ourselves for 7 months. Then in December DH ran all over Texas, putting things in place to start a little cattle venture. We both couldn't be away at the same time so I stayed and kept things going here.

 So looking for a place of our own has been a challenge. And we're not sure which direction we ought to go. We'd like to be closer to grandbabies, but with DH's parents in their mid-80's, we can't really abandon them and they absolutely refuse to even consider moving. They've been there for over 20 years. DH's sister drives up 4 times a year from Texas, but DH and I will be much closer to help and enjoy spending more time with them.

So the Good Lord opened doors and we have closed on 163 acres in the mountains. Not one single step would have been possible without us leaning on Jesus. I often felt like Peter...just stepped out of the boat in faith.

 We lived in the mountains 20 years ago and honestly, moving to the desert was a rough transition, but God has blessed us greatly here. But those first 3 years were hard as we all yearned for the mountains. I was definitely the most stubborn about it until I learned to bloom where God had planted me. And now He has set us back into the mountains.


Our first big project will be to build fence...about 2 miles of it. OYE! I told DH that I hated to ask Jesus to build fence, but there was no way that I was going to be able to do it unless He was part of the crew. 😉 Well, maybe that's the 2nd project - we'll need to clean up old fence and set up temporary pens for the horses. DH took down the round pen he made 30 years ago

                             
 
and we hauled it up to the property on the flatbed:



So, posting in this space may be sporadic for some time, but I've enjoyed documenting my days here for almost 17 years and I don't plan on stopping although the content will shift a little with this transition. Currently, we are in chaos mode.

DH continues to run the ranch and I'm doing my best to sort and pack and haul what we're not taking or donating to the newly dug dump. After 20 years here, we've accumulated too much and I'm not even a shopper. A torn meniscus and cartilage damage is making that a big challenge.

                                 

I guess technically, after over 37 years, I won't even be a ranch wife anymore, but adventure lies ahead and together we're going to jump (jumping may currently be a bit ambitious) into our golden years together...just don't forget to pack those fencing gloves! And label the box so you can find them!

I'm sure many of ya'll will laugh, but we're really excited about the fact that we bought dirt! 😂


So stay tuned, I'll still be lovin' life at the end of our new dirt road! 

30 comments:

Raewyn said...

Oh wow, what an opportunity for you, owning your own piece of dirt. That step brings a great sense of contentment. I hope everything goes well for you in all the packing and moving you have ahead of you.

Caro said...

Congratulations! Off to a new adventure and best of luck m

Anonymous said...

What an exciting time for you! A lot of work, (but you are used to that), and so much to look forward to. DH should have less of a workload and so should you. No more 4:00 breakfasts. And much more time for the grands. Congratulations. May Jesus bless your move and continue to guide your path. Dotti in CT

Margaret said...

Wow. What a change. I wish you lots of success and happiness in your new home. And I hope your knee strengthens so you feel better.

stitchinpenny said...

It was your plan. You have worked toward it. Congratulations. May your faith guide you as you celebrate your new place and may you know peace and joy.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!

smithcindyk said...

Congratulations! I’m so happy for y’all! Please share pictures of those mountains when you have a chance. Hope your knee heals quickly.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, what a huge exciting transition!

Millions of questions, thanks for taking us along on these big changes!

Ceci

Donna said...

Congratulations on the next chapter in your life. How exciting for you both and to life in the mountains again. Good luck with the move.

Gretchen Weaver said...

How special for your both! The move will be stressful (especially with the torn meniscus!), but a year from now you'll be settled in your own home, what a blessing! I understand completely about buying dirt. I can't wait to see pictures of the new place. Will you still be clerking at the sale barn? Happy packing!

Betty said...

Great post, great adventure, great song. Smiling & staying tuned.

Momma Llama said...

Congratulations on this new adventure in life. Your days will be filled with personal satisfaction and joy. Best wishes with the move, setting up a new homestead and all things in life.

RuthW in MD said...

WOW!! What a big change for all of you! Congratulations, and may Jesus continue to guide you!

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

Wow...wishing you all the best!!!

Sue said...

Wow, congratulations! I have enjoyed your blog and look forward to seeing lots about your new life.

Judy M said...

Congratulations on pursuing you plans and dreams on your own land.

Northern Quilter said...

Loooking forward to reading about all the new adventures at the end of your own dirt road!

Jenny Koehn said...

That is wonderful news! I enjoy reading about your life. The quilting, your adventures and your family. So happy for you in your new venture!

Joy in NW Iowa said...

Congratulations! I’m anxious to see pictures of your very own dirt!

Sharon said...

What a great adventure you will have in front of you and DH. Looking at the dry creek bed, I could think about was running a metal detector over that ground. Prays for the both of you.

Shirley said...

Congratulations, owning your own land in the mountains, sweet! Do you get more rain over there? Take care with your knee with all the hard work, and I’m glad you’ll keep on blogging, as I just love to read about you and your cowboy.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh my gosh that is so awesome!!!
You could sell *working vacations* and make some fold come fence for you - I bet they'd eat it up like a dude ranch!!!
I'm so excited for you - and those mountains look amazing!

Pam said...

What fabulous news for you and your family

Ranch Mom said...

Congratulations! I've been following your blog for so many years. I'm excited to continue to follow your new adventure. I'll also pray for the Lord to bless your transition.

Martha said...

Congratulations! I’m so happy for you! Hubby and I were moving to NM to be near friends, but God moved us to North Carolina near our daughter. Tough transition and it will probably take me a couple of years to adjust but God’s plan is always the best! God bless you both!

Lindah said...

How exciting! Best wishes in the transition.

Cheryl said...

Congratulations, I've been praying for your transitions to go smoothly . I love reading your posts and truly love the recipes and to be truthful you sometimes make me so tired when I read about all your ranch work! I enjoy your posts and hope you'll continue them as time allows. May God bless you, your family and your new dirt.

Anonymous said...

Wow! So happy for you both! Wish you much happiness in your new home. I love reading about your life. I sat at a desk for over 40 years, moved back to my home city after many years. I love being outdoors and nearly all my ancestors started their lives in the US as farmers 175 years ago. I am a quilter and sewer also. This post got tears in my eyes for you. All the best.

Anonymous said...

Best Wishes to you on your new adventure. I'm a sporadic reader, but will look forward to hearing of the new place. Good luck parting with some of the quilts.

Shelly Huelsman said...

CONGRATS! a somehow I believe you will run a few head. I know how those cow men are. Enjoy your new adventure!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...