Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Our Mountain Adventure Begins

 August 21st was our 1st night in the mountains. We were living with a house full of boxes and rumbling tummies so I scrounged up a light supper. We wanted to commemorate the occasion with a toast, but were unable to locate the box with the wine opener so DH improvised and wine was decanted

And we had our first meal out on the deck

DH was up early the next morning (some things never change ๐Ÿ˜‰) fixing breakfast

And once again, we convened out on the deck

And consequentially, we've eaten every single meal out on that deck since. Only when the weather chases us indoors, will we gather around the dining room table which actually has the same view.

Yes, thank you Jesus for bringing us here!

I will say that I've never worked this hard or been this tired. I'm chalking it up to a combination of general moving challenges, age, a lot of physical labor, and the change in altitude. We're 1600' higher here. The first few days we worked on putting up a temporary fence for the horses.


My job was to clear a path for the fence which included lots of sawing with a pretty view

Then we worked another 4 days picking up and rolling up old abandoned fence across the property so the horses wouldn't get cut and tangled up in it.

We did spend one afternoon exploring and picking our way across an old road in the UTV that is really no longer traveled. It took us over an hour to travel 9 miles.

Then I helped DH put up a temporary electric fence around the headquarters to keep the horses out of that area. 

The skid steer has already proven to be invaluable

And the horses are now much happier now that they are no longer cooped up in a tiny paddock.

Any and every other spare moment was spent taking apart these barbed wire cages the previous owners had put up around trees they had planted. They had put them up to keep their horses from eating the trees. There were 10 cages protecting 10 little trees, but we put up a fence surrounding the headquarters so we removed the individual fences in order to clean things up.

Anyone interested in a barbed wire wreath made by old, tired hands?

My hands were SO sore! And then we had to pull all of the posts and they were cemented in.

The previous owners are the dearest couple and they offered to pay for a couple of dumpsters to be delivered so we could clean up things they had left behind. So that's an ongoing project as we clean out the barn and shops.

They left us 2 chickens and a very sweet rooster 

And our chickens and guineas got along with them instantly. There are two old abandoned chicken coops that DH crushed and put in the dumpster. We are currently using a coop that was built into one of the horse stalls but a new coop and chicken yard is on the list.

We've also inherited a herd of hummingbirds that may eat us out of house and home, but we love these incredible little birds and will enjoy them until they migrate south in a few short weeks.

So, needless to say, the house, that is really nice and clean, hasn't been getting much attention. Boxes are only getting unpacked as we hunt for things we need as we need them because we are working outside all the time. 

I've managed to cobble together kitchen necessities and am cooking simple meals that will give us leftovers. 

This Bacon Green Chile Quiche was delicious. I made 2 because the previous owners have been making trips back to pick up some outdoor equipment and it's always good to be prepared.

I also made a batch of Rice Krispie Treats and when I turned around for literally 2 seconds, they were gone. I laughed and said, "Tell me you didn't bring those out onto the deck", as I walked outside. DH's answer, "They'll cool off faster out here". ๐Ÿ˜„

We are working hard, but we begin and end each day out on the deck and we're so tired when we come inside, it's all we can do to take showers and fall into bed. There is the most amazing bathtub here, but I'm afraid to use it because I'm pretty sure I'll fall asleep and DH will be asleep so he won't hear if I go under. ๐Ÿ˜‚

So we're excited, exhausted and  extremely grateful. We've had mountain showers many afternoons and the first morning we woke up to a rainbow as we lingered over a 2nd cup of coffee and tea. I'd say that's a pretty darn good way to begin this journey.

29 comments:

Sally Langston Warren said...

My biggest congratulations to you both for this new season of life!! How exciting!! I imagine once some time passes and you finish with all the removing of things and rebuilding/improving on other things, all the unpacking and putting away…..you will find so much pleasure developing your new routines and daily activities. Sounds like you have already started a new routine of eating together on the deck. I know your children and their families are anxious to visit you! Take care.

Dorian said...

What a beautiful place Karrin! I'm so happy for you. Getting back to the mountains, finding that beautiful home. I'm glad things are going well and hope that things slow down a bit for you soon. Take care.

Anita said...

Wonderful. I'm just loving reading about your journey and your new home. Many blessings to you both.

Margaret said...

Look at that view!! Look at that kitchen!! Wishing you many, many years of happiness, faith and beautiful memories in your new home.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your new home sounds wonderful! When you go so many years getting up early, habits won't change. I'm still getting up between 4:30 - 5 am. Occasionally I do manage to sleep in to 6ish but only when I've been up late which doesn't happen very often. Blessings to you both and your new home!

Donna said...

Your view and home are absolutely beautiful! Even though you are working your butts off; it’s definitely worth it. Can’t wait to see your new sewing room, I know that’s a long way off though. I assume the temperatures are much cooler too.

Robin said...

I've been wondering how the move is going for you. Ahh, that deck with those views. What a beautiful way to take in God's Glory at the beginning and end of every day. Don't worry about the inside boxes, they will wait. I know you're busy but thanks for the update.

Theona said...

Congratulations! What a wonderful testimony to God's goodness. I'm impressed by how much you're able to do in a day, especially with a bum knee. Praising God with you.

Psalm 103:1-5 "Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name! Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s."

RuthW in MD said...

Amazing!! Wonderful!! What views you have!! Congratulations and may you both be able to continue to transform your new place to suit your desires. Take Care, now!

Janna and Mike said...

Your new home looks amazing and I wish you both all the best as you start this new chapter!

Sue Lee said...

Wow, amazing views. You sound extremely busy but very happy. Love the pictures.

Sue Swank said...

Oh my, that does sound like a lot of work. The end result will lead to a wonderful home. It looks like such a beautiful place to be.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have never commented before but I have to tell you how much I enjoy your adventures and wish you so much good luck with your new home. I was raised on a farm and watched my dad work so hard (dairy farm). I've been a city girl (pop. 7000) since I was 19 but have never forgotten how much hard work goes into farming and ranching, and how fulfilling it is.

Tired Teacher said...

Lots of work, but I’m sure it’s satisfying because you’re making improvements to YOUR place!

Sherrill said...

Looks like you found yourself a beautiful, forever home. I'm sure you two will enjoy it greatly and have fun making even more memories in your new place.

Anonymous said...

Your views are amazing and the house looks wonderful - decorating with moving boxes is fine for the first 5 years, so no rush! It's great to see the horses and chickens getting settled too, of course they don't have any fencing to fiddle with or boxes to unpack.

Thank you sharing this next chapter.

Ceci

Shirley said...

What a beautiful place, your own paradise in the mountains.

Celaina said...

I am late at the move update BUT you had me at the duffle bags!! I have so many quilts everywhere and it would be great to find a way to store them. So what if using the duffel bags with acid free paper and contained-in-some-way moth balls, maybe enclosed in acid free paper and then in small mesh laundry bags and then added to the duffel bags? I'd really like your input on this idea or other mouse/moth detractors. Cause the duffel bags sound great!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you are really enjoying your new digs. On the hummingbird front, don't be surprised if some stay around for the winter. I live in Salem, Oregon, and have hummers all winter long. I am enjoying your new surroundings too. Did you move states too or just??? Hugs, Kara

Chris said...

So happy for you!! Your new place looks wonderful and so very beautiful! And your new kitchen looks like it will be a winner--what I can see in the picture of your husband cooking looks lovely. God is good. Blessings on your new home!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful new life you have begun! Meals on the deck sound like such a lovely tradition. Wishing you good health and much happiness.
Kathy

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wow! what a view from the deck!! and oh my - what a lot of work - but look at that view ;-) I am so happy for you all.

Doniene said...

What a beautiful view!! Sometimes I miss my Wyoming mountains!! It's always a challenge to "fix" things the way you need them, but what a wonderful time together!!
Blessings and Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Awesome scenery you will never tire of! Enjoy!

Linda B said...

So nice to see green grass in your pictures. It looks like a wonderful place for you and your husband to put down roots.

jen said...

I'm guessing your husband retired as ranch manager? Your views are amazing!

Vicki...NC said...

Thank you for sharing your adventures all these years. I have truly enjoyed all the dirt road experiences and am looking forward to your new mountain days. I was brought to your blog through quilts but kept coming back with interest in your daily journeys. Enjoy your new chapter.

murphysranch said...

I am absolutely thrilled for you and your hubs.

Anonymous said...

I am sew happy for you and your husband. You are so deserving of this beautiful home and lovely area. Many blessings on your new journey.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...