Thursday, March 6, 2008

Winter...Spring...Winter...Spring...Take Your Pick

Crazy New Mexico weather! It's snowing again! I'm not complaining because we'll take all and any moisture we can get, but yesterday it was in the 70s and this morning I'm sitting here, watching it snow ~ again! Guess winter is not willing to relinquish it's hold on us just yet.

Another weather post you ask? Yes, it seems that I talk about the weather alot. However, weather does play a big part in our day to day lives. As ranchers, we rely on it heavily. We live in the desert, yet complain about how dry it is. For the most part, we pray for moisture and celebrate when it rains or snows.

Five years ago we were experiencing a drought and we were on year 12. It rained and rained and rained that year and I remember standing in the barn and looking out at the rain and crying because we were so relieved. I remember lying in bed with tears streaming down my face because the sounds of rain on the tin roof was the sweetest sound in the world. We slept with the windows open so that we could hear the water rushing down from the mountains. The country seemed to transform overnight and we were excited to be repairing water gaps and thrilled by the fact that the creek was roaring and we couldn't cross it.

In my world, "Gosh, I wish it would quit raining" (or snowing)is one sentence that is NEVER, EVER uttered.

We get to stay home today, I'm going to put a pot of stew on for dinner and bake DH's favorite cookies, I can hear the flannel quilt calling my name and I hope to curl up under it with a big mug of hot tea and a good book a bit later. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was 70 degrees again this afternoon! Oh heck ~ Let it snow!

2 comments:

agent713 said...

I'll take spring please :)

Although I can see why rain/snow would be beneficial.

Ranch Wife said...

Well if you hurry down here, I can guarantee a spring day today. Tomorrow, maybe not so much, but you're still welcome to visit!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...