We were so sad and yes, I cried. We couldn't find any signs of anything digging through and came to the conclusion that something had climbed the chicken wire, clamored across the top, and shimmied down the tree trunks through the hole in the chicken wire. Someone worked awfully hard to get our guineas. We had patched those holes in June, but the winds make the trees sway and had left enough of a space in the wire for a rascal to squeeze through., but we didn't see any fur or other signs.
DH pulled out traps and set them that evening:
The chickens roost in the coop at night, but the guineas like to roost in the dead mesquite tree in the chicken yard so we herded them all into the coop and locked them up tight. They were unhappy, but safe for the night until we could catch the nighttime marauder.
Nothing for 2 days and then when I went out on Saturday morning, there was a coon: