Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Indian Summer Quilt

This quilt began back in October 2015 when a friend and I spotted this fabric at our little local quilt shop:

                        

We both  fell for it immediately. I had been eyeing this pattern:

                                          

And the 2 just seemed like a good combination although I altered it a bit and used a single square for my square in a square blocks. I wanted something that would put that floral in the spotlight and when I placed it against a brown solid, it just shone:

                            

To make it scrappy, I pulled possible fabrics from my stash when I got home and began cutting strips:

                            

My friend and I exchanged some fabrics as we found ourselves in various shops throughout the year and gathered a few for more variety.  I  really wanted this for a backing, but couldn't get my hands on enough of it

                            

so I settled for this green that I found on a clearance rack:

                             

It's not my favorite, but it was 108", and I guess the green is a nice compliment to the salmon-y pinks, and it works. I don't know why, but I do not enjoy piecing backs. Jackie quilted it using a black thread and a pantograph called  Linna's Charm:

                             

And it is 86" x 98", perfect to brighten up the guest bed in late summer, although it looks awfully nice across the back of the glider my FIL made for us:

                             

I am still completely smitten with the inspiration fabric and have enough left for something else and I'll make it just big enough to use that backing I love. :)

This past weekend when we were at my in-laws' home, I had lots of quilt holders at my disposal

                           

as well as a lovely setting to photograph this finished quilt that makes me smile every time I look at it:

                                      

23 comments:

suz said...

beautiful quilt!

Barb Neiwert said...

Your quilt turned out so nicely - beautiful! I love the design and the fabrics you've selected. It's always fun to work around a fabric you truly love!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

You are right - perfect setting for a photo shoot! it is beautiful!

sherry said...

it looks like it was meant to hang over that railing ... so at home in the outdoors ... perhaps your floral fabric like warm air outside

Tired Teacher said...

It's gorgeous! The dark background makes all the difference in this quilt. Well done.

Briarose said...

love this fabric! Good choice with the brown

Janet O. said...

Oh, Karin, what a beauty!!
I can see why you fell for that fabric. And you chose a great traditional pattern that I have always loved. The choice of brown for the background was inspired. It sets off your focus fabrics and scraps beautifully. Such a winning combination. It looks lovely wherever it is!

Sandra said...

Love the colors. Flowers always make for a happy quilt.

Shelly said...

I really like that one! The brown was a fabulous choice! And it's huge!

Unknown said...

A beautiful quilt. I love the background fabric that you didn't have enough of. Do you know the manufacturer of this fabric and/or its name ?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful ...

Ann Nell said...

Lovely quilt. Can you tell us the name and/or maker of the black and white that you wanted to use but didn't have enough of ?

Judy said...

It is beautiful! You did such a great work on that. Well done good and faithful servant!!

Nancy A: rangerer@sbcglobal.net said...

I also like that pattern, and it is nice to see how you made it. Your choices were good, and your quilt is beautiful.

Shepherdess55 said...

Pretty quilt. It looks like the pattern is in a book. If so, which one?

dqlts said...

Beautiful quilt! I love everything about it!

Chantal said...

Congratulations! It's awesome. I love the pattern Jewel Box. Never thought to add a full square instead of the HSTs. Great substitution. Love your quilt and the fabric. ;^)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sorry that you didn't get to use the backing that you had hoped for, but that clearance-rack-green looks like a perfect match, too!

Pauline said...

That is another beautiful quilt! And it looks like it was easy to put together. Love your colors.

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

I loved your focus fabric when you first posted about it and even more stitched into that beautiful quilt! Looks like a field of wild flowers.

Dar said...

What a beautiful quilt and lovely setting to photograph it too. You should be very proud.

Sherrill said...

LOVE!! It's gorgeous!

Charlotte said...



Lovely quilt.

Charlotte

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...