Friday, August 25, 2017

What I'm Working On and Dining Room Tables

Someone asked me about the backing I had originally intended to use for my Indian Summer Quilt last week. They are a non-reply blogger so I thought I'd pop that information in here and hope they might see it.
This is a print from Vintage Garden by Jo Moulton for Wilmington Prints. The other fabrics in this line aren't really my style, but I love this one and no, it's not dirty, those smudges are a part of the charm of this print.

                               
                           
I have been working on making  hsts for my Scrap Dance Waltz quilt as time allows:

                                

I have made one


of each of the 2 blocks just to see how everything was put together and to figure out the pressing
 

I am so glad the cutting is done. I ended up with a full bin:

                                 

Speaking of cutting, in an earlier post, most of the comments suggested I use bed risers to add height to my dining room table which is a good idea...if my table wasn't this:

                                 

It's 4' x 8', solid oak, and weighs a ton. I also have another leaf that expands it to 10' when I have a crew or family and friends over:

                                   

Plus, these 2 pedestals are like tree trunks

                                     

I love this table.  When we were married, we moved to a ranch that DH was managing and the house was furnished. Then, when we moved to Texas, the kitchen had a conference table and that was our dining room table for 10 years

                                      

until we helped moved our pastor and they no longer needed their table, so we inherited that for $25.

                                      

 It sagged badly in the middle so DH welded angle iron on the underside and we kept it covered with a tablecloth because it was in pretty bad shape and with 2 small children and helping on the ranch, I didn't have the time or feel competent enough to refinish it. 10 years ago we saw this table at a trade show at the WRCA (Working Ranch Cowboy Association) trade show and bought it. I love it as much today as the day they delivered it. It's made to last and to hand down to future generations. We have always eaten all of our meals together as a family and many good memories have been made around all of our tables through the years

                                       

I have a small island in my kitchen and I have used that when a friend was visiting and cutting out a quilt and I'm on the hunt for another to add to my sewing space, but for now, the dining room table will suffice. I just don't spend hours at a time cutting, but apparently I get enough cut because there's always something to sew around here and that's a good thing!

6 comments:

Janet O. said...

That looks like a fun quilt you are putting together. Did you figure out the pressing so the two blocks fit together, or will there be sashing in between?
Gotta say, I LOVE your dining table! About 13 years ago we bought a nice solid oak dining set and hutch, but the table only goes to 8.5 feet with extensions. At the time we rarely needed the extensions and I thought it was plenty long. Now we use both extensions every Sunday, and I wish it was longer!! Your chairs look very comfortable--good lower back support.
What a nice looking family sitting around that table!

Joyce said...

I have a table that looks very much like yours and love it also, don't feed as many as you do. Bought mine at a second hand shop and it had a few marks but that way when my family makes their mark I won't feel as bad as I would have if it was brand new.

Tired Teacher said...

I love this post - tables are the hub of any home. Over the years, I've had tiny apartment tables and sometimes only folding TV trays. About 30 years ago, I purchased a solid oak table, six chairs and two swivel stools. It makes happy to know someone else will love them when I'm gone.

Anonymous said...

Love the story of your kitchen tables. When we expanded our kitchen in 2000 we purchased a 12-foot-long oak table that seats 14. Our oldest was a college senior engaged to be married, and I figured grandchildren were in the not-too-distant future. It took a lot longer than I thought for that to happen. In between we began sending care packages to soldiers deployed in Afghanistan and Iraq. Generous friends and coworkers began contrubuting items, and before we knew it that huge table became a sorting, packaging, wrapping station. Often there was barely enough room at one end for the two of us to eat. We did that for eight years and often remarked on how God knew better than we did what that table was for. We finally have a little person who sits at the table (with the help of a booster seat) and are hoping for more to fill the remaining chairs.

Cindy in NC

PS Love, love, love those 30's fabrics.

Pauline said...

I love a big table like yours. Great for entertaining and great for cutting and for getting a quilt ready to quilt. But oh my how it can get you "down in the back." Your table is beautiful.

Chiska said...

I love your table story. We have a table that was given to us when we were first married. It is round and has fold down leaves so that it can be in a small space or expanded to accommodate a whole lot of people. I love that as my sister has 7 kids so when we get together it's nice to have somewhere to put them!
I recently (last year) acquired a dedicated cutting table. It's from my neighbor and friend and is the top of an old "closet" that someone had turned into a garage workbench. It had linoleum all over it so the shop mess was easily removed and I sanded and sealed it with a beeswax concoction. The wood is so pretty and the height is perfect for me so it didn't hurt to cut anymore. My DH teased me that I didn't do anything but cut for the next 6 months. I did a lot of cutting because it was so fun!

Karen thanks for taking the time to share in this space. I probably say that every time, but your blog is always such a delight visit and adds joy to my life. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...