Monday, August 28, 2017

Cornpone Pie

Today I'm sharing another easy recipe that has been in rotation around here for 20+ years. I had never made it for the crew, but I only had 6 extras for a few days when we were pulling bulls, a few weeks ago, and I made this one day. They were so funny when they came in and saw it on the stove, "WOW! That looks and smells amazing! What is it?" When I told them, I got, "Oh! What's in it?" "Is it hard to make?" " How do you make it?" and once they tied into it, "Can I have the recipe?" I think that makes this a blog-worthy recipe.

Again...not fancy, but hearty, filling, and cowboy and kid approved.

                              

Cornpone Pie

2# ground beef
1 chopped onion
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp Worcestershire
1 can Rotel
a couple extra spoonfuls of fresh green chile
2 C cooked and strained, pinto beans
2 C grated cheddar cheese (I use sharp or the Mexican blend if I have it)
Cornbread batter (my recipe below)
sliced pickled jalapenos

*Preheat oven to 400. Brown your ground beef and onion. Add chili powder, Worcestershire, Rotel, green chile, and beans. Simmer for a few minutes and pour into greased baking dish (I use an oversized pie dish that I have or a cast iron skillet). Sprinkle with cheese, top with cornbread batter, place sliced jalapeno on top. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until cornbread is lightly browned. Serve with sour cream and salsa.

                               

I serve this with corn and a big salad.

Cornbread

1 C cornmeal
1 C flour
2-4 Tbsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 C milk
1 egg
1/4 C vegetable oil

*Combine dry ingredients. Add milk, egg, and oil, using a wooden spoon.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my husband will want this......going to grocery today. Thanks

Valerie said...

Looks delicious! I make something a bit similar, but I add a layer of my cornbread batter to the center as well as on top. The cornbread in the middle bakes up more like creamy polenta; it's quite good! I'm going to give your cornbread recipe a go ---- I've always been a Jiffy girl because that's what my mom uses. {grin} Never hurts to have options!

Tired Teacher said...

Looks yummy! This tenderfoot would probably leave the jalapeño out of the recipe. 😉

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Yummmmm - I bet I could do that in the crockpot too? It looks yummy!!

Granny said...

That's something I've never made (or eaten). Pulling some ground beef out of the freezer and making this Wednesday. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I can't seem to find a link to print your recipes -- is there one?

Thanks

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Our friend from Florida is flying in next Wednesday without his wife, so I'll be cooking for guys for about 10 days. This sounds like it will hit the spot for an evening meal with a salad and leftovers (maybe!!) to send with him to his cottage for next day lunch. I'm certainly checking out your past menus, plus adding my crispy, crunchy Southern fried chicken, shrimp jambalaya, and at least one pot of beans with cornbread. Haven't felt like cooking much for a while, so this will be a treat for all of us!! Loving you quilt posts, too!

Pauline said...

Oh my! I can hardly wait to make this one! I'll have to go round up some of our pepper bellied neighbors to have supper with us. Thanks Karin, I can tell this is a winner!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...