Saturday, March 24, 2018

This Week...

has not been conducive to stitching. Every Monday is sale barn day and on Tuesday we drove 3 hours to attend the bull sale where we purchase bulls every year.

                               

I did manage to get some hand stitching in during the drive


 This year we filled up our dance card with 16 pretty boys. I didn't walk through the pens with DH


 this year because I unhooked from the trailer and drove another hour north to sell DH's bobcat hides. I got back just as the sale started.


It was after 9 when we pulled back into the ranch and let the new residents out to have their fill of hay:

                                       


Then overnight, our gentle spring exploded with activity and wind:

                              

Folks complain about the wind, but I just shake my head. Unless you've experienced wind in the New Mexico desert, you have not experienced wind:


                                           

That's a horribly grainy shot, but I had to include it. And, no, you cannot just hole up in the house when it hits. Cattle still need to be fed, doctored, moved, sorted and when you're a rancher or farmer, staying inside is not an option. I was talking to a friend the other day and she said you just had to wait for it to pass and then shovel all the dirt out of your house. She got it right.

                             

On Thursday, the folks we bought the bulls from, delivered the rest of the bulls at noon and after dinner DH and I ran them through the chute

                                         

 to brand them:

                                        

With Skeet's help, we got it done:

                                        

That evening DH had a board meeting to attend so we drove into town for that and I bought groceries for all the extra folks I'll be feeding in the coming week.

Yesterday, my SIL came through at noon and today, my BIL came through at noon. Tomorrow I'll have 4 extras for breakfast because we are gathering steers to haul to the sale so again...I'm in the kitchen.

I think I'll have extras on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday and then the kids will be here for Easter weekend with little T and apparently we're going to meet the newest member of the family:

                                                    

I dumped the boys out one morning too after breakfast and then scurried back to the house to fix dinner



Thankfully, there is no sale on the Monday after Easter, and Tuesday I'll have extras to feed again as we're sending out roping cattle to a sale and then we'll make a trip to watch them sell.




Plus DH is looking to get some more bulk feeders so we'll probably squeeze that in somewhere and they're still working on the new scale setup in spare time:


It's been nuts. I've been keeping sane by sewing when I can. I just got the binding on a little quilt so the long dry spell of no finished quilts might be coming to an end.

                                       

Somehow I have managed to get in some sewing. I'll be back with an update of that in a  day or two.

11 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

Whew, that was one packed week! I hope you'll have some time to take a deep breath and relax a bit.

Oooh, the puppy is adorable!

Nancy said...

You lead such an interesting life, Karin. You're so busy but you accomplish so much! I love to read about and see photos of your ranch life.

Janet O. said...

I don't know how you wedged any sewing into that schedule!
The photo of the dusty wind is incredible!!

Sherrill said...

MAN, girl, you are SO BUSY!!! Just wondering how many bulls you have? I know there's some computation as to how many per females, right? And is there more than one bull in one area or do they compete? It's all Greek to me.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Oh my goodness. I was exhausted just reading your schedule. I don't know how you find time to sew! Great informative and fun post. mary in Az

Shelly said...

You start to think it can't get any busier, and somehow it does! I'm tired just reading this!

Judy said...

Great Post! I’m ashamed of my daily routine compared to yours! What an inspiration you are! Hope Easter brings a little R&R. Was that picture with the dog your daughter? She is very pretty!

Joanne W said...

I love to read your posts and I love the photos that go along with them. You sound like you love what you do even if it means you are busy all the time.

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Well, at least you seem to have a schedule for "BUSY"! Glad you are getting to do a little sewing. Looks like the dust bowl must have looked when the wind blows at your place!!

Dar said...

Your week was full of exciting activities and lots of good hard work. Hope your Easter is more quiet and you get t little rest with your family.

Pauline said...

My, my how your operation has grown in the last few years! Obviously ya'll are doing all the right things. You are amazing! I found the statement about DH selling some hides very interesting. Right now I'm reading a book about how destructive coyotes, eagles, lions and bobcats have been and still are on mainly sheep and goat ranchers in Texas and New Mexico. But cattle ranches aren't immune from those predators. You must be having some problems too.
Love what I could see of your quilt.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...