Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Under the Needle - March

I made a trip to spend some time with my mom so that explains my lack of posts lately. Plus, the days are just moving much faster than I am these days.

I worked on getting a binding on while I was there, but I've still got one side to go. I actually started binding this when the Olympics began, but it's a big quilt and I didn't get as much time to to watch as I had planned:


I've been making some progress in my mystery sewing for On Ringo Lake. I managed to get all the blocks made


as well as the sashing, but I wasn't crazy about it. Then this variation popped up in my Pinterest feed one day:


I loved it. There is only a photo. It doesn't lead anywhere and I cannot find the original source. It only mentions that it was pieced by Forest Jacobsen. This seems to be an EQ variation so I tried to discern what changes were made. I knew I needed 6 extra 9-patches so I made those and I pieced the original sashing pieces into blocks for the borders - which required I spend some quality time with my stitch ripper since I already had them pieced to use as sashing. These run along the top and bottom:


And these are for the side borders:


Then I figured out what shape I needed in order to complete the setting triangles and I cut and pieced those. I'm sure there was a simpler way to go about this, but this was what worked for me:

                                  

The top is the original setting triangle and the bottom is the new setting triangle


Then I finally settled on a scrappy brown border because I had a pile of 3 1/2" strips left. I added to these and cur them for a 5" border:

                             

And  I pulled this blue from my stash for the backing. I bought the rest of the bolt years ago for $3 a yard and it finally found where it belongs. Plus, there was just enough!

                                        

There was no sewing last week, but I'm close to finishing this one:


I really wanted to get started on the quilt for our girl, but I knew if I didn't get this top together, it would linger in some forgotten corner and I was hoping to avoid that.

I worked on Monday, fed the crew breakfast and dinner on Tuesday and tended to a big pile of mail and paperwork, but today I can focus on getting blocks pieced for the Sequoia quilt:


7 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

I love your version of Ringo Lake. Well done!

Judy said...

Very nice quilt. Your quilt reminds me of Arizona. We spent 2 months there.

Shelly said...

Love all the color! And that backing for your Ringo Lake is perfect! I don't know if that ever happens to me. I'd have to go buy something.

Sherrill said...

WOW!! You've gotten a LOT done. I still have ole Easy Street to finish (it only needs borders, darn it!). Love how Sequoia's looking Gonna have a lot of finishes real quick!

Janet O. said...

This is a beautiful use of the Ringo Lake blocks! Almost makes me wish I had made it. :)
But like Sherrill, I have yet to finish Easy Street. :)
Sequoia is a beautiful use of triangles!

Dar said...

Your new version of on Ringo Lake is a great design .I prefer seeing a unique setting rather than hundreds of the same quilt. I do love to participate in Bonnie's mysteries, but have stopped until I can get more of my UFOs finished.

Ruth said...

That is a beautiful set of borders for the On Ringo Lake quilt, and the backing is just right. I managed to do one (1) On Ringo Lake block, and I turned it into a table topper. Now I'll wait for someone who likes orange and brown and turquoise to give it to...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...