Thursday, April 25, 2019

Donning That Apron and Wielding the Rolling Pin

Last week I only had 2 days that I needed to cook for a crew. This week, I'm back in the kitchen for 5 days. It's branding season. Our sale was on Tuesday, due to Easter, so I spent Monday planning my menu and making my list. Our boy wasn't able to be home for the weekend, but our girl and her 2 hooligans made it. Here she is introducing Harvey to the new kittens:


 We cooked yummy food


and enjoyed catching up before diving into branding mode.
DH and I put out hay for bulls last week:


The chicken coop got a good cleaning in preparation for the new tenants as I moved them from their brooder:


And DH enjoyed the company of our girl on his feed runs - she posted this:


I fed the crew breakfast on Tuesday morning and left dinner in the Crock-Pot along with fresh cornbread and dessert before I headed to the sale barn and then hit the grocery store with a long list. One of my errands was to have something laminated and I was shocked when I was asked to sign a waiver. A WAIVER? Yes:


You know, just on case I decide I want them to UN-laminate the item I had asked them to laminate. Alrighty then. I'm pretty sure I snorted with astonished laughter at the very kind attendant when he explained the need for my signature  for that reason. When I actually read the waiver, I saw it was more of release of liability should your document be damaged. Oh, for heaven's sake! I just wanted a pattern laminated.

Yesterday I made biscuits, gravy, eggs, sausage, and put out some fruit. Cleaned that up and made Salisbury steak with gravy, rolls, mashed potatoes, a corn casserole, salad, and caramel fudge brownies with ice cream for dessert. I even had time to mow the yard before the crew pulled in at 1. And before you think that was a lot, I'll tell you that I was in bed at 7 that night. My co-worker and I were talking about how we used to do all of that on a daily basis (and then some!) when we were raising our families and not even blink, but now...in our 50's...it's just a lot of work. 😀

I shouldn't have set down to tap out a post this morning because it's going to take some effort to trot back into the kitchen, however, duty calls:




9 comments:

Scrapatches said...

Thank you for a view of a very different world from me. I always enjoy your posts. Great photos and food for thought ... :-) Pat

Janet O. said...

A great post, Karin!
Love the kitties. :)
A sweet post from your daughter about her Dad.
I had spent hours putting together a large visual aid for a Sunday School class once, and decided to get it laminated to preserve it for future classes. They ruined it. I get the waiver. If I was an aggressive person, I could have made trouble for them over that ruined piece.
Your menus make my mouth water, but I am home with a head cold and about all I am getting is cold juice and hot lemon tea. Blah!

Donna said...

I read where someone asked for a doggy bag at a restaurant and they had to sign a waiver! It was in case they got food poisoning and I think it was in Australia!!! I don’t envy you and all of the cooking! Glad your daughter made it home for Easter! I love what she wrote about her dad! So sweet!

Sherrill said...

Oh my GOSH!! I just can't imagine having to be that organized!! HAHA It's incredible what you do in the kitchen. What a sweet girl you have..she definitely loves her folks and being with you. So awesome.

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Miss Karin, I agree that 7 p.m. was a fine bedtime after the day you had!! Lucky cowboys got a good meal even though you left for work. Love the kittens and I'm still yearning for one after our old tom cat, Jessie James, moved to Kitty Heaven. Hubby says our Mountain Cur squirrel dog would think it was a strange looking squirrel and that would be that!! Happy Spring, friend!!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

and then here are the 60's

Dorian said...

Sounds like you could use a helper Karin! LOL, but then, keeping busy keeps you young.... so they say ;) What cute kitties! And your chicks are growing well too. We are about to order ours :) Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

So glad to know that at times you are worn out and have to go to bed early. Proves you are human. I don't see how you do all that you do continually and are up for the next day! Amazing and all of your readers like to read about things they don't experience. I think I have done well if I do Thanksgiving and Christmas meals and that's IT for the year on tremendous effort. But you are up and cooking much and feeding many and quilting and tons of other stuff. It's all interesting to us and your readers really enjoy your blog. It's the best one I know about. Thank you for that.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Awww What a sweet IG post - your girl is a gem
Glad you had her home and had some time!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...