Sunday, July 14, 2019

What I've Been Up To

I didn't intend to take a blog sabbatical. It's been HOT here. We logged in 112° last week and it's been over 100 day after day. You would think that would translate into more computer or sewing time, but that has not been the case. I figured I'd pop in and let ya'll know what I've been up to. We are giving thanks for rain - 1.7" here at the house. 4.3" on the east side.


Before the 4th, I did manage to piece this little top:


Our girl came home over the 4th and that's always a treat for her old folks.


DH fired up the smoker:


And we enjoyed catching up.We didn't really get her for an entire week though, as we had to share her. She headed to my in-laws' on Friday to attend the ranch rodeo with her grandpa and then headed south to spend some time with her brother and some friends before migrating back home on Sunday. But Skeet was reunited with his hound dog compadres for the week and they plumb wore each other out

They would disappear for hours and return looking like this:


DH shot a couple of pistol matches and when you live where we do, that means it's a 2 hour trip -or more- one way:


I've done some sprucing up outdoors under the watchful eye of a member of the kitty brigade:


And spent lots of time doing this:


The spring winds blew in so much dirt into the yard that it killed all of my grass, but it allowed these lovely green weeds to thrive. 😏 We're branding the Corrientes this week so after work at the Sale Barn on Monday, I'll be hitting the grocery store and then cooking for a crew for 4 days. That means I am in list making mode today. So if I'm needed this week, you can find me in the kitchen and I'll do my best to check in now and then.



8 comments:

Violet said...

Yay! Thank you for the new post. I understand heat...living in Florida and factoring in the constant high humidity. I hibernate in the summer and emerge in the fall. Although it's still hot well into September. Beautiful quilt top and love the cute outdoor furniture made out of horseshoes.

Melody A. said...

it is always wonderful to read your writing, straight forward, honest, loving, always taking care of things and still making lovely quilts!!! LOVE IT!! take care ! Happy sewing from Iowa

Sherrill said...

That's a HUGE variable in the amts of rain received. That girl gets around and enjoys lots of company (those hounds are big!) and know her g-parents were happy to see her. Love the quilt, mowing looks like REAL work in those temps and cooking for 4 days--double ugh! Miss when you have long blog absences but know you're busy!!

linda said...

Your posts are always fun. But I really enjoyed those dogs! What a crew. Thanks for the smiles.

Tired Teacher said...

Glad your area received some much needed rain, but with the brutal temperatures it probably boiled as it fell. Love the photos of Skeet and the hounds. Here's to a good week.

Dorian said...

Sounds like a great time with your girl Karin. Glad she was able to come visit for a bit. And yah on the rain! Good deal. The weather here has been so mild for us, I've been so thankful. No rain, but highs in the upper 80s, instead of 90s. Nice quilt top you have there, glad you got some sewing in. Have fun in the kitchen!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Not sure about the old folks comment... I think the dogs looked pretty excited to have your girl home!!! Looks like you have been so busy sewing hasn't had a chance to say hi!!

Theona said...

Can't wait to see what kinds of treats you're cooking and baking for the crew. Even if they're your old favorites, they inspire me too. :)

Glad you were able to get another quilt top finished too--that's so satisfying.

Hope your heat wave breaks soon, but it doesn't look promising! We just had a deluge today, the first in weeks, and very necessary.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...