Friday, June 5, 2020

Stars and Bars Quilt

I don't even remember when I started this quilt, but when I saw the pattern, I knew I would make it in patriotic colors as a QOV for a veteran. I don't even remember what it was called...maybe Star and Bars. This is the pattern cover:


I don't have many in-process photos as I'm not home and don't have access to my pictures. I found this one on an earlier blog post from 2017 so it's been a while. The backing is this great eagle print from probably 5 or 6 years ago, but I always thought it would be perfect as a background or backing and I have used it for both on other quilts:

                                   

So most of these are finished shots. It took me 2 weeks to hand stitch the binding on this one. I worked on it a little each evening as I sat and visited with mom. I didn't have any navy thread at mom's so I just used what I had which was gray, but in the big scheme of things, it doesn't matter a hoot.


I changed up the pattern a little, removing a star and moving one - I think. I'm just like a fish out of water when I'm away from home so forgive me my memory lapses. This one finishes at 58 x 68:


I used the same fabric for all of the stars. It's an older print from Connecting Threads. And then I just pulled fabrics from my stash for the strips.


 Jackie quilted a loose serpentine pattern that I suggested across it. I rarely request a particular pattern, but this one popped into my head and I like the way it turned out:


And I actually have trees to pretty up my quilt photos here!


If you HAVE to live in town, this is a pretty good spot to do so:


You'd never know that Hobby Lobby (and just about anything else you'd ever need) is just 2 miles away:

                            

This one may stay here in Texas. This is a military town and all of mom and daddy's friend are retired military and I think every veteran ought to have a QOV. I think I just added a whole lot of quilts to my list.


13 comments:

Janet O. said...

It is a great QOV, Karin! Love it so much in r/w/b. And the design you suggested for the quilting implies the flag waving in the breeze. Perfect!
I feel like a fish out of water when I stay with my Mom for even a day, and that is only five miles from home, so I can only imagine what it is like for you!

Sherrill said...

Love it!! Just a great pattern for a QOV as you thought. You are getting a lot done even being away from home. Hope your mom is doing OK.

Janna and Mike said...

Love this quilt. Hope you and your Mom are doing well. I too am away, helping to care for my Mom who is doing just OK--I'm knitting and cooking for the family who are busy people--they are digging potatoes today.

Theona said...

Love the quilt and the sentiments behind it. It inspires me to create one for my Dad for Christmas. Thanks for sharing it.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Beautiful!! Isn't it crazy that wildlife can be so close to a town!!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Wonderful finished quilt - a perfect QOV. The fawn is adorable.

The Joyful Quilter said...

That interesting pattern made for a lovely quilt!

Carroll W. said...

Lovely quilts! If you remember the name of the pattern and the designer, would you please post it? I would love to make one. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful. Love it.

sandi s said...

I love your quilts!! I love the RWB but the one with green is so striking! I hope I can find the pattern. Hugs,

Shelly said...

It turned out great!

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

I'm so glad you quilt and share photos!! Thinking about you and your Mom and I know your cowboy misses you, too. Prayers for all!

Chris said...

Love that quilt! You did a wonderful job on it and the quilting makes me think of a flag waving in the breeze. Today is D-day and my dad was a paratrooper in the 101st Airborne and jumped in the early morning hours. He was just 21 and it boggles my mind to think how young he was. He died three and a half years ago at 93 1/2 and I still miss him so much. He got a quilt of valor about seven years ago and you should have seen how tall he stood as he marched up to receive it. Family. Memories that bless and burn. Praying for you and your mom during these days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...