Monday, June 1, 2020

Taking the Next Step

O.K. I promise not to bog all of ya'll down with a lot of details about my mom's health, but this has always been my online journal and this is what my world presently looks like. And it's not about me. It's never been about me. It's not even about my mom. It's about Jesus. And as long as I keep my eye on Him, we'll be fine.

Thank you for sharing your journeys, thoughts, prayers, and very kind comments. I cannot tell you how much your words and stories mean to me. Please know that it warms my heart when you comment and I promise to get back to replying soon.

To answer a few questions: Yes, I am an only child and my mom is an only child. She was born in Vienna, Austria and all of her family was over there. My Daddy (born in Ulm, Germany) had one brother and one sister, neither of whom married. All of his family stayed over there as well.There are some step-cousins in Germany, but I am the end of the line.

So I am it. There is no one else to help navigate these waters, but those of you that have been friends here for some time know that my faith is an integral part of who I am so I really am not alone in this. And that's a very good thing because Mom's results came back and yes, it is a malignant Sarcoma. We did go in to see her regular doctor, whom she has been seeing for over 25 years. They have a close relationship. If you know my mom you would know that she kind of adopts people that come into her life. You also ought to know that you're not going to get away with anything when she does so and being a Dr. does not exclude you from that. 😄

I was a really, REALLY good kid!


I towed the line now. I'd rather get in trouble with the law than my mother, but if that happened, I'd be in trouble with her too. I think the only thing I ever did against her wishes was marry my dear husband, but it all worked out...she loves him now too. 😄

So we are now in waiting mode and I think we'll be here for a while. Waiting for the next call, the next result, the next appointment...

In the meantime, we are getting all of our ducks in a row which they really already are because, well, if you're a duck around here, you're going to have to stay in line. 😄 And Daddy was just really so intelligent and he left everything in pristine order for mom and me, making it easier for all of the ducks, past, present, and future.


I am fielding at least a dozen phone calls a day. Mom's friends have my cell number so I am really texting my little fingers off trying to keep everyone happy and informed. At one point I was on my phone with my boss, a text came in, mom's house phone rang, and someone was at the door all at the same time. 😄 My mom does not use a cell phone or text. Yes, we've tried. She is not having it. She and Daddy have lived in this house for over 25 years and I don't think I've ever known of a neighborhood like this one. The neighbors are as close to family as you can get without actually being family. They have traveled all over the world together and have practically worn paths between each other's homes carrying food and gifts and wine and the margarita machine back and forth. So how is it that I am a hermit? 😄 But I love Mom and daddy's friends too. They even stop in at the ranch and stay with us at times so we've got a good support system here.

I know I need to be here and I want to be here. I'd never leave mom alone, but I am missing DH and Skeet and my dirt road. I never thought I'd want to be cloned, but right now it would be pretty handy. Are they cloning ducks?


21 comments:

Dorian said...

((Hugs)) My friend. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your Mom. It's so wonderful how people can care so much for each other, not being blood related. I'm so glad that you and your Mom have a great support system. Take care.

Sherrill said...

WOW! You do have your hands full. Sure hope you can get back home soon but sounds like mom's gonna need you for awhile. It's so good that she has you. Prayers for you and your mom (and DH) as you walk through this together. The year of cancer with my DH was the worst of my life and has given me a entirely different mindset on what I'd do if I found I had cancer. Just take are of yourself!!

Chantal said...

Wonderful news! Blessings. ;^)

Deanna said...

Oh, so many hard emotions in one big box...As I continue to navigate the road with my sister-in-law I can sympathize. Although it must be so much harder with a parent. Prayers and blessings your way.

Theona said...

If they could clone Dolly, the sheep, surely they can clone Karin, the duck!
Continuing to pray for your mom, her physicians, YOU, and all those involved in your mom's world. May the Great Physician heal your mom thoroughly and give her peace.

Donna said...

I am so sorry to hear about your mother’s diagnosis. It sounds like you have a great support system with the neighbors. Your mother is a strong, no nonsense kind of woman which is definitely in your favor. I can imagine how much you miss your husband, Skeet and the ranch. My hubby is an only child too. My MIL’s only has two older cousins and hubby. It has been really difficult with us in Europe and her in the US. I will keep your family in my prayers.

Janna and Mike said...

You and your Mom are in my prayers every night. It's very hard when you are an only child--I am married to one of those. I leave tomorrow for Arkansas to spend some time with my Mom and give my sister a break. I too am torn missing my home in Montana, my Cowboy and my pooch. May the Lord give you comfort.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Thinking of you and your Mom. Her neighbors and friends sound wonderful, so I can imagine the peace of mind that gives you.

Judy Laquidara said...

I have been praying for your mom, you and your family. It's a tough time but even in a painful situation, it makes my heart happy to know you and your mom's priorities are in order and you have great faith.

kupton52 said...

I'm praying for you...I,too, am an only child. My dad died a few years ago and my mom had a stroke at this funeral and passed away the next day. So I lost both of them within 6 days. My heart goes out to you. I live at the end of a gravel road---kind of the same? :) Blessings from southeastern WV.

Shepherdess55 said...

You and your mother will continue to be on my prayer list. I pray the Good Lord cures your mother cancer.

Joanne W said...

Keeping you and your Mom in my prayers. I love that she has such wonderful neighbors.

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Prayers for you and yours, Karin. We are never ready for this, but God is in control.

Violet said...

I am so sorry to hear this. I will be praying that God will give the doctors and others caring for her the wisdom they need to know how to best treat your mom. Also that God will give you His peace that passes all understanding and strength, courage and comfort when you need it most. I know how difficult it is to be away from home. Take everything to Jesus and lean on Him. Philippians 4:5-9.

Shelly said...

Prayers for you. I know you're missing the ranch, cos I know I would be. I hope your mom gets along very well. Keep us posted.

Lisa said...

Hugs and Love to you! Yes you have a faithful and the most caring friend in our Lord. May you continue to draw strength from His love.

Janet O. said...

Wow, Karin, I know what you are going through, but at the same time, I don't. It has been a year last week since my Mom was diagnosed with cancer, but I am one of four kids and we all live within 10 miles of each other. I am glad your Mom's neighborhood is like family. You can use that support. Jesus can give you strength and peace, but we are meant to help bear one another's burdens and I know you will also be upheld by those neighbors who are like family. Still doesn't make it easy. Praying for you all!

Lindah said...

May His peace sustain your mom and you in this difficult time.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh My friend - you are so amazing. I understand about all the phones and the door at once ( we have been dealing with a family event as well) and I wish you lots of patience. We will definitely be praying for you and are always here to listen to you!! Love you spirit!!

Pauline said...

Karen, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. I too am an only child so when my mother passed away it was all left up to me. I did the best I could. I had almost no experience with death. I was alone in Kerrville with her, Ken was at home, my two girls were in San Antonio and Spokane. I did the best I could, made all the arrangements and we held a service weeks later when we could all get together. Your faith will help you make all the right decisions. And, when you do everything you know to do, you will grieve, you will go through the 4 steps as outlined by Katherine Kubler-Ross. You will know you've done your best and will be blessed with a clear conscience. You'll understand you did everything possible for your mother and be at peace. Death, is terrible, but just think of it this way. "Death is merely a birth into another place, a better place. My prayers are with you.

Shelljo said...

Just sending you hugs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...