Thursday, May 13, 2021

Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch

 The days are moving too fast for this old gal and I feel like I'm falling behind. I keep taking pictures and I intend to post about the things that fill up our days and then days pile up and things begin to run together. So today you get a quick peek into some of the things that keep me away from the computer. πŸ˜‰ 

Before I left for Texas last month, DH and I spent time one morning building a ramp at one of the waters on the north side. We gathered rocks along the way, unloaded them, and DH made an impromptu watering can:

 DH builds a base and then adds bags of Quikcrete:

These bags weigh 80# and just last year I was able to lug them to DH from the rig, but my Quikcrete lugging days are over. My 57-yr old body just won't cooperate, no matter how hard I grunt. 

Grunting also leads to laughing. And laughing leads to crossing legs. Poor DH really does deserve better help.

Mission accomplished. Now the baby calves can reach fresh, cool water:

Skeet wasn't too happy the morning I left. He looks pretty pitiful:

While I was away, DH took over my baby calf chores 

I missed these sweet faces:

 One day he sent me this video and I thought I'd share it with all of you Skeet fans:

DH also sent me this photo:

With this caption: There are 3 baby kittens under there somewhere.

LOL. 128,000 acres and a mama cat, 3 kittens, AND a chicken must take up residence in a single 12" nesting box. πŸ˜‚

And then that dear man improvised and nailed up this setup to keep the babies safe and the chickens out:

We're still spending every 3rd day hauling hay up to cows on the north side of the ranch

But the good news is that we put these to use a few times last week (they usually dry rot between rains around here):

And we're praising God for every drop. About 1/2 of the ranch had 1" of rain in 3 showers. And now we walk around and stare hard at the ground, looking for any signs of green. We try not to tear up roads,

 but it's really nice to get a little mud on the tires:

                                             

Then our girl, who lives in OK called on Friday night at 7 and said we had cows out on the highway. Someone from here had messaged her so we jumped in the rig and headed out. Within 5 minutes, DH's phone rang 4 more times. 

The neighbor called and said someone had called him. 

A friend who often helps us, called from Arizona where he was working cattle to tell us he heard we had cows out. 

The brand inspector called. 

And the wife who's husband used to work for us at North Camp called - her daughter who lives 150 miles away heard we had cows out too and called her. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

So after a wild ride through the bar ditches, the rogue heifer was rounded up:

 and fence was mended:

DH said he was checking a water on the highway the other day and the heifers were close by when a police car went screaming past on the highway (not really a highway - just a 2-lane blacktop) with sirens whaling and the heifers took off  running after the police car. 

The siren sounds a little like the feed truck siren that we run when we feed cake. He got tickled.

I've got more to share, but I think this post has dragged on long enough and I've got to jump in with DH and run some cows through the chute so I'll leave you with this closing shot I snapped a few weeks ago when I was driving down Ponderosa Rd and crossed the railroad tracks at sunrise:



18 comments:

Dorian said...

What a great lot of photos Karin. Thanks for sharing with us, I always love hearing about things there on the ranch. Got a few chuckles, those cats, got to love them! They always keeping me laughing. Love your last shot, we have a Ponderosa rd in our area as well ;) Have a lovely day.

Kathy S. said...

My you have been busy. You are such an awesome farmer's wife. My brother didn't get so lucky. He loves his wife, but she is usually busy shopping or gossiping with her friends. Anywho... LOVE the pic of mama cat and the hen in the egg box with the kittens under them. I have one of my older, original hens that prefers to visit the cats and kittens in their cat box. She usually lays her egg there vs. in the egg boxes at the chicken coop.

Donna said...

Glad you are home! I love that you were getting calls from people out of state when your cows were out!!! It’s wonderful how people look out for each other in small towns or huge ranches! Lol! Skeet looks so sad! I am sure he missed you!

Ruth said...

Oh, how glorious to hear that you've had some rain! But I don't know about being called from a state away to say you've got cattle out...proves that friends and neighbors still watch your ranch via Facebook! You are not Alone. That last photo is beautiful. Thank you!

Sally Langston Warren said...

I so enjoyed this post! Love it that he thought to make a video of Skeet and the calfs....and photo of the cat and chicken. Sweet to fix that cat/chicken situation! And the story about the calls alerting you to wayward cattle! “It takes a village” takes on a new meaning! Thank you for this little picture of your life. So enjoyed! Take care.

Cathy W said...

I so loved every part of this post. I am a retired ranch wife, and just relate, and miss all of this so much. Thank you so much for taking the time to photograph and share with us. You are my favorite blogger. Just a huge thank you

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

You are so crazy busy!! and Poor Skeet - he looks absolutely pitiful that you are leaving him, good thing those baby calves can love on him ;-) Great job getting that rogue heifer!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I love that people near and far were kind enough to find a way to inform you that valuable livestock were outside the fence.

JustGail said...

The heifers and siren, and the chicken and cats, gave me a giggle. Sometimes DH used to pull into the neighbor's barnyard driveway and fool the cows into coming on the run. Then he'd leave the cows baffled. He drove a pickup the same color and size as the cows owner. Nice that the rain came in 3 showers so it had a chance to soak in instead of running off. Hope you get more!

Treadleworks said...

Always enjoy your ranch life! Thanks for sharing!

Nancy said...

You've been busy! Those calves are too cute. And Skeet--what a dog! Hooray for rain! And how funny the mama cat chose a box with a chicken for her kittens and herself.
It's wonderful that you are so surrounded by people who care when you live miles and miles from other people. And surprising that word travels so fast despite the distance. Kind friends.
I always enjoy spending time at your ranch via your photos.

Shelly said...

Love your pictures and stories. Yay for that rain!

Chantal said...

With all the cattle and calves he has to take care of, 3 little kittens' safety was suddenly a priority. That's a man with a great heart. I had a good chuckle at your grunt leading to laughter leading to crossed legs. I am so there too. Praying for more rain in your neck of the wood. We're doing fine here without so far. Take care. ;^)

Judy L. said...

Love your posts and your pictures. Don't know how you do it all!

Sherrill said...

Whew, that was a lotta info but it's always SO interesting!! Skeet gettin' groomed was so cute and he was surely lovin' it! And a mama cat, 3 babies and a chicken all in the same box? Hilarious but what a sweet thing of DH to do--ole softy. I honestly don't think I could EVER have carried 80 lbs!!! The 'cow on the loose' telegraph system is too funny!

Janet O. said...

I feel so stinkin' lazy after reading your post! :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

That cat and hen photo is TOO funny. The sunrise? Spectacular!

stitchinpenny said...

So happy you had a few minutes to share your life with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...