Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Sunday Morning Rain Run

 God is good all the time, whether it rains or not, but on Saturday He blessed us with rain. I can hear ya'll now: "Here we go again, another post about the weather!" LOL.

I'm sorry, but as ranchers, our life pretty much really does revolve around the weather.

After a Sunday morning breakfast omelet, DH and I headed out on a rain run. The rain gauge here at the house just had 0.2" in it, but around here, we are grateful for every drop. And as we drove east and then north, we began to run into water and DH laughed when I told him I needed a photo of a puddle:

I told him it was for historical documentation purposes. 😄

This rain gauge at North Camp made us dance a little jig:

Seems as if the rain ran across us diagonally and covered about 25% of the ranch.

We are desperate for it everywhere (as is everyone in the state), but the most amazing thing is, that we got the best rain right where the cattle are. I know that's not a coincidence. I don't believe in those. I know, without a doubt, that God's hand was in it. And I am a firm believer in prayer so to all of you who have sent prayers, THANK YOU! Know too that I am keeping those who are dealing with TOO MUCH rain in prayer as well. Our girl said she didn't think they were ever gonna dry out in OK. She was raised a desert rat so this has been a big change for her. It's rained so much there that she said she thinks she's beginning to mold. 😳

Skeet came along for the celebration too:

We drove up Sardine Mountain to get a bird's eye view of the dirt tanks without tearing up the roads:

These tanks were previously empty. Adobe Tank, that falls off into Adobe Lake was full. They're a couple of miles away:


Spotted Tank was full! This is a picture from 6 years ago. The one I took didn't turn out:

And Silman Lake was full!

any green you see, is mesquite, not grass. We also have a tank called Madison Square Garden (don't know who in the world came up with that one!) and it was full, but it is silted in and needs to being cleaned out and it can't be cleaned out until it's dry, but right now we need the rain more than we need the tank cleaned. 

No more feed runs! No more hauling hay!

Although we are very grateful that we were able to buy hay or we would have had to sell the 300 hd we have left:

Skeet will miss hay runs too - the calves come running when he hits the ground:


DH has been needing to visit with his brother and we've been praying for God to make a way for DH to be able to get away for a few days so they could spend some time together. Without this rain, he wouldn't be able to do so. Thank you, Jesus!

Cool, crisp, rain-scented desert air. The smell of coffee wafting from DH's cup. A happy pup:

Muddy roads:

This man by my side:

And when this song came on the radio as we ran across Sardine Mountain, I got a little misty-eyed:


 Pretty much a perfect Sunday in my book.

10 comments:

Dorian said...

Good morning Karin, woohoo!! God is good! We, too, got a rain cloud on Mon night, gave us .11 in the rain gauge, and as you say, any amount is a good amount. So glad to see your water tanks full, have a wonderful day.

Sherrill said...

I'm so happy you guys got a decent amount of rain..hopefully you'll get more before the summer heat hits full on!! I'm feeling a lot like your girl..moldy! I'm tired of the rain and ready for some dryin' goin' on! LOL (I know, in July and Aug., we'll be wanting it). You and DH were definitely a match made in heaven.

Donna said...

So happy you got some much needed rain! Growing up in a small farming community, I know how important rain is for crops and livestock! Thanks for the Skeet pics! He sure looks happy!

julieQ said...

God has blessed us with an abundance to rain, and I am so glad that some has come your way!!!

Nanette said...

Thank you for this wonderful post. So positive and grateful. Sometimes I forget to be grateful! Thank you for being a great role model

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I love hearing about answered prayers! Praise the Lord for much needed rain.

Shepherdess55 said...

Don't ever worry about writing about the weather. Look at as an opportunity to inform those who don't farm or ranch need to understand the importance of weather in our lives. Growing and harvesting crops (grazing in your case, making hay for me) all depend upon the weather.

Chantal said...

Amen! If I can push my request a little bit further, I'd ask for rain on the last 75% of the ranch. Thanks. (I've sent my prayer.) ;^)

Marie said...

Here in MO we've had more rain than we really wanted but eve3rything is green including the weeds. But God sends it and we accept it. Love your song. Lost my Larry little over 6 years ago and I, too, would choose him again. Thank YOU for keeping us in your prayers as you are in ours. Keep those cowboys straight!! Hugs.

Joy said...

I’m so happy to hear about the rain - I’ve been praying for rain in New Mexico. Having grown up in southwest Texas, after all these years I still don’t take rain for granted!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...