Monday, May 24, 2021

Too Many Early Mornings

 We had a busy week and I don't know if it's really busy or if we're just getting old, but either way, it wore us out.

Monday was sale barn day, as usual, and the sales are slowing down a little, as they tend to do in the summer, but we still sold almost 1200 hd. We finished at 4:30 and I headed to the grocery store with a long list because I was cooking for a branding crew. 2 hours later, I was headed home. 

DH helped the neighbors brand on Tuesday. 

We branded on Wednesday. 

Back to help the neighbors on Thursday. 

And we closed out the week, branding here again on Friday. 

Lots of early mornings. 

DH had to leave at 3 a.m. as the neighbors are an hour away and yes, they really are that far. We share a fence with them on the east side. 

Yes, I really ought to go back to bed after he saddles up and leaves, but I get up, make coffee for him and I brush my teeth because minty fresh 'see you later, have a good day, be safe, have fun, tell everyone hi, I love you' kisses are a nice way to begin the day...even at 3 a.m. And then I am awake. And since I didn't have to cook on Tuesday and Thursday, I caught up on some reading:

Tended to computer correspondence:

Added a few stitches to my current binding project:

Made good progress on my Tail Feathers blocks:


Washed clothes

Made the beans and rice for Friday

And dessert:

Lemon Meringue Cake


Cleaned my poor, dirty oven:

And when the sun came up, I mowed:

                             

After 14 years, I got a spiffy, new lawn mower...for Mother's Day. 😂. It's just a basic, push mower, but I am thrilled! I don't need bells and whistles and with this drought, the yard is the only thing to mow. It takes me about about an hour to mow the yard and maybe 20 minutes to mow the bunkhouse yard. In years past, when it has rained, I have spent a lot of time (about 15 hours a week) mowing all over headquarters and I told DH that I was requesting a riding mower when that happened again. 

I enjoy mowing the yard in the cool of the morning. It looks lush this year- maybe because it's the only green to be seen anywhere in this part of the world. A few years ago, we had someone come out and trim the trees. We've done it ourselves in the past:

Step Away From the Chainsaw

But I convinced DH to have it done a few years ago because he's just got so much on his plate:

A Tree's Demise

We were so sad to lose one of the Elm trees (out here, trees are treasured) and then I was thrilled to see it coming back and now we have more future shade. It's already about 10' tall:

Hmmm...might be a good place for a nap. Heaven knows this old girl could use one.

7 comments:

Dorian said...

Good morning my Friend :) You get used to the early hours, if you do it for long enough. lol But then, you are much, much more busy than I am, I bet bed feels real good at the end of the day. Glad you have some time on a few mornings to get a bit of this and that done though. Have a great day.

Violet said...

Shoot...I had to take a nap after just READING this post!

Donna said...

You are always so busy! I love have neighbors help each other out even if they are an hour away! That cake looks so good, looks perfect for a spring and summer dessert!

Chantal said...

Those are very busy days. Amen for a good rest. ;^)

Sherrill said...

Oh my gosh!! Every time I read all you do in a day, I feel like a lump! LOL Hey, take care of the resprouting elm--I lost my HUGE elm a few years back to borers (it looked perfectly healthy until one summer when it began losing it's leaves). It went so quick after that and had to have it removed. It was so big and provided shade for most of my west backyard. I use a product once a year to hopefully protect the replacement.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Well THAT was a full week!! Could you pass a slice of cake my way? It looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe link.

Shelly said...

That's a lot to get done all before sunrise! I'd have definitely needed a nap!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...