Monday, April 4, 2022

Rhubarb Crisp

 I don't bake much these days, or at least not as much as I used to. I still bake when the kids are here, or when I've got a crew, or when the county works our road, but not so much for just the two of us. However, DH loves Rhubarb and the season is short. I probably should have been growing it in the garden, but I saw some last week and added it to my cart. I could tell the checker didn't know what it was so I told him. He'd never heard of it and I had to repeat it a few times, but I was kind. Then he proceeded to ring it up as Rutabaga. 🤣 The cabbage also stumped him and he rang that up as lettuce. He was a nice kid and I didn't want to embarrass him anymore so I just let it slide. 

The next morning I called my MIL and she dug out her recipe. She is a wonderful cook and so many of our family favorites originated with her.

Rhubarb Crisp

4-6 C Rhubarb

3/4 C sugar 

4 tsp flour

1 TBSP Tapioca flour

*Mix together

Topping: 

1/2 C brown sugar

1/2 C flour

1/2 C butter, melted

1/2 C rolled oats

*Mix together and dot onto Rhubarb

*Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 50-60 minutes. I bake this in a deep dish pie plate for this amount. Serve with ice cream. 

*My MIL uses 1 C sugar, but we love the tartness so I use less. Her recipe also calls for 4 tsp of flour to mix with the Rhubarb, but I love using Tapioca flour as a thickener so I use a combination of flour and Tapioca flour.

So good!

          

7 comments:

Violet said...

This brings back memories of my grandparents' place in Ohio. Grandpa had a good-sized garden out back. He grew rhubarb and grandma would make a delicious rhubarb strawberry pie. I miss those days and my grandparents. It's sad, really, that there may be a whole generation that doesn't know the benefits and pleasure of growing your own food and reaping the harvest.

Janna and Mike said...

We too love rhubarb and my plants in Montana grow like weeds! I usually end up giving away most of the rhubarb as we try hard not to have desserts on hand! :)

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The crisp looks delicious! I love rhubarb, but it’s so difficult to find in the stores around here. Two years ago, I posted a request on the Next Door app and managed to get enough to freeze a couple of bags. I’m rationing that stuff like gold.

Robin said...

I make rhubarb pies for my husband and am always so pleased by the color of the filling. It is just such a pretty color if red, Your crisp looks yummy.

Nancy A: SewingGranda@gmail.com said...

I will definitely try this is I can get some rhubarb. I don't think it grows well here in AL, but I used it a lot in Illinois. One of my favorite memories of my grandmother was at Christmas spooning stewed rhubarb on hot buttered toast at breakfast.

Shelly said...

Yummy! I'm gonna have to remember this one. I'm not sure My Cowboy likes rhubarb, but oh, well -- more for me!

ytsmom said...

I love rhubarb in all kinds of recipes. My favorite is Rhubarb Delight which has a shortbread crust, rhubarb custard filling topped with meringue. It's sogood, I could eat the whole thing!! Pie plant for tbe win!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...