Monday, May 16, 2022

Farmhouse Flannels Quilt

 When I made my list of quilts I hoped to finish this year, this quilt wasn't even on it. I guess I just forgot to add it so I'll just call it a bonus quilt. ๐Ÿ˜‰

A few years ago, I stopped at Front Porch Quilts in Benjamin, Texas and one of the things I bought was this Layer Cake

I loved that little quilt shop, but we ran into the owner at a quilt show in Dimmit last month and she said she closed the shop in January. Her business partner had some health issues and the shop was just too much for her to handle on her own. Plus she had a really good cash offer from the county as they wanted it for a county building. ๐Ÿ˜ž I didn't pass through there often, but when I did, I left a lot of money there!

These fabrics are SO soft! When the 2nd coordinating collection hit store shelves, I waited for a sale and bought a companion Layer Cake and then they sat. And waited. 

For inspiration. When this quilt popped up in my Pinterest roll, I knew it was the one:

I loved the simplicity and the fact that it leaves the fabrics big enough to enjoy the prints.  I also like that there is no waste although I think there were 2 pieces I didn't use because I didn't need the extra blocks for my setting. According to my records, I started this quilt in April of last year. I couldn't find any pattern information, but if anyone knows of any, please let me know and I'll edit to include that information here. I don't want to infringe on any copywrite, but I made mine without a pattern. It was easy enough to figure out - I simply cut 2 strips :

                           

Then I stacked them and moved the bottom fabric in the second stack to the top:

Then it was time to just sew and in no time, I had a stack of blocks and then a top. I am always in need of rustic, masculine quilts and these classic, neutral colors, are perfect

It sat again until I found this flannel on sale for the back (I had my heart set on a plaid) at a vender at a quilt show and I added this print for the binding:

Jackie and her daughter, Sandy, chose the perfect quilting pattern...again...it's called Mesa

It's 70" x 84" and as I sat and worked on the binding in the evenings, DH kept asking, "You're not giving that one away, are you?"


We don't have a flannel quilt, but now we do! 

๐Ÿ˜‰Alas, it'll be a good 6 months before we're ready for flannel around here, but you can bet we'll be grabbing it first chance we get!

8 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

What a lovely quilt, it looks so comfy. It will be very handy in late fall/winter. Happy stitching!

vkh6210 said...

Beautiful quilt. Looks very easy. I don't blame your husband, that quilt is a keeper.

Tired Teacher said...

I love the colors and the pattern of this quilt. Since it’s flannel, it will be a good snuggle quilt, too.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Your husband is a smart man--he knows a good thing when he sees it. Snuggling under that flannel quilt would warm the soul and body.

sandi s said...

It’s beautiful!! Good your husband spoke first! ๐Ÿ˜‚ Hugs,

Janet O. said...

Oh, I am glad you are keeping that one. Good call! It really is cozy looking, and I do like the quilting design used.

Sherrill said...

That's a pretty quilt and sounds like DH liked it!! I'd be OK if I never needed a flannel quilt again--I truly hate the cold!

Shelly said...

So pretty! And I bet it's nice and soft and snuggly. Good plan to keep it for yourself!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...