Monday, December 19, 2022

Chicken Noodle Soup

 We love soups and stews - especially this time of the year, but although we like Chicken Noodle Soup, it's not one of the soups we crave...until we're sick...and until I found this recipe. 

                                        Flu Fighter Chicken Noodle Soup - Jo Cooks

I made this a few weeks ago when I brought home Sale Barn germs. I don't think we had the flu - just a cold - but it hung around for a good week and we felt pretty cruddy. We had a few 18° mornings, but even sick,  DH still headed out to build fence. I can't slow him down, but I can keep the home fires burning and have a hot meal ready and this sure did hit the spot. I think the little bit of added spiciness helped ease our symptoms because we felt better. I'm sharing the ingredients here for simplicity for our kiddos, but the link above will take you to all the details. Jo shares lots of good recipes!

Flu Fighter Chicken Noodle Soup

2 Tbsp olive oil

1 large onion, chopped

2 stalks celery, chopped

2 medium carrots chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

2 tsp Herbs de Provence (I didn't have any so I used Italian Seasoning)

1 Tbsp hot sauce (I used Tabasco) - a tsp might be better if you aren't a fan of heat

2 Tbsp soy sauce (I used Coconut Aminos)

1/2 tsp pepper

3 C cooked and chopped chicken

2 Tbsp fresh dill

1/4 C fresh parsley

8 C chicken broth (low sodium)

3 C dry egg noodles (I had a partial bag of bowties in the pantry so I used that)

green onions, chopped for garnish

*Saute onions, celery, carrots, red pepper flakes, and Herbs de Provence for about 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and saute for another minute. Add hot sauce, pepper, dill, parsley, and chicken. Add chicken broth and noodles. Simmer for 30 minutes or so and then spoon up a bowl of comfort.


*To speed things up, you can use a rotisserie chicken (our Sam's has them for $5.00 and they are ginormous - I pick one up every 3 months or so and we get 3 or 4 meals out of it), but since our Sam's is 30 miles away, I just cook 5 or 6 lbs of chicken at once, dice it up and keep it in the deep freeze. 


2 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

looks scrumptious...i make a lot of chicken noodle as its my fave...i think the hot sauce revs up the heart rate a bit and in turn the immune system...just a guess but possible i guess

Dotti in CT said...

No reason why you cannot buy two chickens and put one in the freezer for another day, it works and makes the best broth.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...