Thursday, February 9, 2023

Finally Sewing

 I carved out some time to sew this past weekend. Besides stitching some bindings to the front of quilts, I haven't been in my sewing room since the first week of December. I really needed to start this quilt for a friend. I'm starting with the Branded collection from Sweetwater and pulled numerous prints from my stash to scrap things up a bit.

 I hemmed and hawed for weeks over a pattern. I wanted something masculine and simple and finally settled on a design. I've seen this called many things like Framed Squares or Square Dance. Here's a tutorial using a Layer Cake that I used as a starting point

                                                                        Square Dance

I'd forgotten how much fun it is to start a new project


Blocks come together fast

Then I pulled this pattern from my binder 

and thought it might be fun to pop in some hourglass blocks in the center of some of the squares. 


The blocks finish at 9" and I think I'll shoot for a 10 x 11 block layout. I made 42 blocks, using the Layer Cake I had and now I'm cutting into the FQ Bundle and the other fabrics I pulled from my stash.  I'm so glad I've finally settled on a plan. I think this might work! 

3 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

This pattern is perfect for a men's quilt, the fabrics look good too, happy stitching!

Anonymous said...

Ah, starting a new project is always fun! I love the addition of the hour glass blocks - it will be fun to see this evolve.

Ceci

Sherrill said...

Gonna be beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...