Monday, February 13, 2023

Reuben Sandwiches

Last Fall, we were both in town together, but in a hurry to get back to the ranch (which more often than not is the case). I needed to pop into the grocery store for a handful of items and I promised DH I would be quick. I was flying through the store, with DH on my heels and he piped up that we should make Reuben Sandwiches some time. He also mentioned Posole so I started mentally adding to my list. I don't know why he doesn't mention these things when we're not in a rush, but I guess it was a convenient time since we were already in the grocery store even though we were in  a time crunch. Then I reminded myself that men are just wired differently. I mentioned this in a conversation with our girl a few weeks back and I added that you cannot rewire them or they'll short out. 😂 

I made Reuben Sandwiches one time a few years back when I found Russian Dressing at HEB, but the dressing is just too sweet for us. Ditto for Thousand Island so I turned to Pinterest and found this recipe

Reuben Sandwich with Homemade Russian Dressing

 and it turned a ho-hum Reuben Sandwich into one of our favorite sandwiches. I made these yesterday and realized I wanted to post about them so I'd be able to easily find the dressing recipe.

Reuben Sandwich

1/2 # Corned Beef from the Deli

1/2 C Sauerkraut (drained and pressed dry)

8 slices Swiss Cheese from the Deli

4 slices Rye Bread

Homemade Russian Dressing

Unsalted butter


Russia Dressing:

1/4 C mayo

1 1/2 tsp chili garlic sauce

1/2 tsp lemon juice

1 1/2 tsp horseradish

1 garlic clove, minced

1/2 Tbsp onion, finely grated

1/2 tsp Worchestershire

1/8 tsp paprika

pepper

*Mix all dressing ingredients and set aside.

Drain and press sauerkraut dry. This keep your sandwich from getting soggy. Warm corned beef on cast iron griddle. Spread one side of each bread slice with Russian dressing. Add swiss cheese to both slices. Add corned beef and sauerkraut to one side. Top with second slice of bread. I like to add the butter directly to my cast iron griddle and then set the sandwich on top of the melted butter and let it cook on low heat to warm the sandwich through, toast the bread well, and melt the cheese. So good!

I cooked mine too fast and didn't let the cheese melt. 😏

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite sandwich of all time. I was also delighted to discover that in Montreal they have something called a "smoked meat sandwich" that is similar to a Ruben - no cheese and about 4 times as much meat as is needed, but so so good. Now I want one.

Ceci

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love Rubens and this looks fantastic! But "shorting out" your husband? That's hilarious!
Kathy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...