Thursday, July 6, 2023

Auntie's Chocolate Cake

 I found this recipe in this cookbook about 18 years ago and we still think it's the BEST chocolate cake ever!

 I don't know who Auntie is, but she sure as heck knows how to make a knock-out chocolate cake. DH requested it for his birthday back then and it's still his birthday cake each year. 


It's simply a gem of a recipe and I can't believe I haven't shared it before.

                                                 

But I made it a few weeks ago to take up to my in-laws. My FIL loves Salisbury Steak so I made that with gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans, and cherry salad and I cheated by buying Hawaiian Rolls because we don't eat much bread these days and I didn't want to make a whole batch of rolls for just us. Although yes, I did just make a whole cake just for us. 😉

 It's a sacrifice I was willing to make so that you too could have the recipe. 😎

Auntie's Chocolate Cake

1 1/2 C sugar

1/2 C shortening

2 eggs, beaten

2 C flour

1/2 C cocoa

2 tsp soda, dissolved in 1/2 C milk

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp vanilla

1 C boiling water

*Cream sugar and shortening well and add beaten eggs. Mix flour, cocoa, and salt. Add to creamed mixture - alternating with milk and soda mixture. Add vanilla. Lastly, add boiling water and mix well. Batter will be thin. Bake in 2 9" cake pans at 350° for 20-25 minutes.

Icing

2 C sugar

1/2 C cocoa

1/2 C butter (I always use unsalted)

1/2 C milk

1 tsp vanilla

*Cook first 4 ingredients over medium heat. stirring until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. Cook 2 additional minutes without stirring. Remove from heat. Add vanilla. Cool to lukewarm. Beat until creamy and spreadable - 7-10 minutes. 

Everyone needs a REALLY GOOD chocolate cake in their life. Look no further. 😋


2 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

This is very similar to a chocolate cake I make called Texas sheet cake. I use butter though instead of shortening. Chocolate is my favorite cake!

Sherrill said...

Sounds good but DANG it's just me and nobody to share with. Oh well....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...