Monday, July 17, 2023

New Projects

 On Saturday morning, DH drove south to participate in a shotgun fundraiser and I settled into my sewing room. When I was sorting last week, I started pulling fabrics for a blue-green quilt for a special Christmas gift. I started with plaids

And moved on from there, pulling greens

                                                  

And then blues -

                                          

I love this part of the quilt making process! This is my inspiration from Pinterest

No pattern. Just HSTs. I made the first 2 blocks (6 1/2")


And as I was cutting, I thought I may as well cut for a 2nd quilt - another Pinterest inspiration


2 blocks down

How many blue-green quilts does one household need? One more!

A start

I cut a 7" strip from each fabric as well as a 2 1/2" strip.  I cut 2 triangles first from the 7"strip. 

The following paragraph is just for my information so I'd remember how I cut everything since it was an efficient use of the fabric I had.

 I cut a 2 1/2" square from the leftover piece on the end. I then cut 2 - 5 1/2" squares, trimming one down to 5". Then lastly, I cut  2 -  2 1/2" x 5" strips and 2 - 2 1/2" X 9 1/2" strips. 

Any leftovers were added to my 2 1/2" strip bin and the bigger pieces were added back into my yardage stash. If my fabric wasn't big enough for pieces for all three quilts, I just cut what I could.

I don't make a lot of blue or green quilts, but I love them together and both bins were too full to close so hopefully, this cutting marathon will prove to be success.

Surely that will make a dent in those stacks. I may be cutting for days!

9 comments:

Sherrill said...

Looks like you're gonna be busy!! But you've got a great start. Love the triangle quilts--I'd be more inclined to make one like your first but the other would give me fits.

Ronda said...

I love this color combination! All of these quilts are going to be gorgeous!

Shepherdess55 said...

These quilts are going to be very pretty when finished.

Sally Langston Warren said...

I have always loved blue and green together too! Every time I look out and see the beautiful blue sky and green landscape, I marvel at the colors. I still haven’t made a blue/green quilt so I may have to join you! Thank you for the inspiration!

Chantal said...

I love blue and green quilts. Your inspirations are tempting me too. You are all organized to turn these inspirations into real quilts. Enjoy! ;^)

Nursejoan said...

You have a beautiful eye for color combinations!
Do you ever have quilts for sale/

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Yummmm Plaids!!!
These are going to be great - I am glad you got some time to create!!

Anonymous said...

I love how you think! To make 2 cuts out of yardage that can be cut into the pieces to make 3 separate quilts is awesome. Thanks for sharing the logical steps that aren’t always obvious to those of us who seem to only manage cutting one quilt at a time. Genius!

Joy in NW Iowa said...

I can’t help but think about you ranchers and dealing with this heat! We are having heat and humidity this week. We are crop farmers so we have some farm kittens and that is it. There are some new babies, but they are pretty scared of us.
I love your green and blue fabric. It’s so restful!
I also love the recipes you share.
You stay safe and sew when you can!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...