Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Catching Up

  It's been a while since I've popped in here. No excuses unless the excessive heat has rendered me useless. 109° again on Saturday. 😟 

Had a blowout a few weeks ago

That caused some body damage to our rig, but I'm grateful it wasn't worse and no one was hurt

So that, along with 4 new tires... sigh.

 But after a visit to the mechanic, the body shop, and the tire shop (that's too many trips to town) - we're back in business.

We've also got a newly hatched batch of baby guineas

I made a little 4 hour roadtrip.

I don't even have the words to describe how much joy this child has brought us

30 years of joy - Happy Birthday Sprout!

Since they live in a different state, I don't get to see them as often as I would like, so when I had the unexpected opportunity to spend a day with her, I jumped at the chance. A friend was driving to Amarillo on Thursday to pick up her sewing machine and had invited me along.

 On Wednesday I learned that our girl was going to be in Amarillo as well (her husband was taking 3 pigs to an invitational sale) so I shuffled things around a bit. I was still able to spend Thursday with my friend, but we took separate vehicles and I spent the night at the hotel where our girl was staying. Thursday was filled with fellowship and fabric with my ranch wife-quilting buddy - an old photo, but this pretty much conveys the trouble we got into - 😉

Doesn't everyone travel with a quilt? It just adds a little bit of home to a hotel room and I always sleep better under a quilt

We didn't have any agenda the next day, but bookstore visits are a family tradition and we spent 2 1/2 hours among the shelves browsing and discussing books. 

We ended up on the floor in the children's section 

A little girl walked up to our girl and after contemplating her for a minute, she piped up, "I'm a kid too"! it was as if she wasn't quite sure if our girl was a kid or not, but she was plopped on the floor, surrounded by children's books so a kid she must be. LOL. We got so tickled! 

We laughed until we cried over books - it was the perfect way to spend time together


And as you can tell, we didn't go home empty-handed. When we were discussing this trip, our girl said she didn't want to add anything else to my plate and I told her spending time with her wasn't adding anything to my plate, it was adding to my heart.


9 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Tires are a big cost but so necessary! It looks like you had a wonderful time with your daughter, daughters are a true blessing! Happy stitching! When I go to quilt retreats, I always take my own quilt along. Motel room quilts are so boring!

Chantal said...

That's so lovely! 💗 Amen. ;^)

Violet said...

I have often considered traveling with a quilt as I really dislike hotels. But I'm always concerned I would bring home hitchhikers...aka bed bugs! Even though we try to stay in more upscale hotels, there's always a risk. We have a road trip next month and I may decide to just go ahead and bring one. You are right, it would be so comforting and would make our stay a bit more tolerable.

Chris said...

Time with your girl is so precious! I'm blessed to have mine right here in town and I never take our time together for granted. (We're having lunch together tomorrow!) So happy for you to have had that time with her--that, and the memories, are gifts.

Joy in NW Iowa said...

Bummer on the tires, etc. Daughters are so special! Looks like you are all stocked up for the winter! Hope your weather cools down soon!

Kara Kwilts said...

Oh My Goodness, Sprout was such a CUTE baby!!! I am so excited for you guys, you are going to be grandparents!!! YEAH!!!! I'm so excited for you all!!!

Sherrill said...

Oh gosh! What a grand time you had with your friend and your daughter. So fun! I've never taken a quilt with me when being out of town. Too bulky if flying and that's they way I usually go, I guess. I LOVE William Kent Krueger and that was one of my FAVORITE books!!

RuthW in MD said...

What fun!! I have a twin bed topper that I always take with me. Easy to wash, keeps me that little bit extra warm that I need in cold beds, light to travel with. Amarillo is a long ways from everything.

Lindah said...

Thank you for "catching us up" on bits and pieces of your life. I always enjoy reading your blogs. And that little one is just too cute for words. I can empathize with your rig blow out. Just glad no one was hurt. My hub's D4 sustained major damage recently, but we are thanking the Lord that he was not injured. Never a dull moment, huh! And yet, you make gorgeous quilts. Keep up the good work.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...