Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Lazy HOT Days of Summer

 Who coined the phrase 'lazy days of summer'? We don't get many of those around here. Something's always needing to be mowed

Or cleaned out

Or fixed

Or moved

Or hauled

Our shovels don't get a whole lotta downtime. 😉

But I'm really not complaining because I'm grateful that we are able to do whatever needs doing. Even if that means we're dog tired at the end of the day. Which these days, we definitely are. The only explanation I have is that we're not 30...or 40...or 50 anymore. And it's SO cotton-pickin HOT!

And honestly, I think our lifestyle is pretty laid back. We're always busy, but I don't feel like we're in the rat race. It's been a record setting summer for heat and we're hoping the monsoon isn't going to completely bypass us this year. I think we're up to 2.5" for the year so far here at headquarters. That's pretty rough when you're in agriculture, but I always say we're one day closer to the next big rain.

The baby guineas are growing - 6 hatched and they are growing fast. They can often be found wherever the sprinkler is running, but they are always on the go, making them hard to photograph.

Our old broken down backhoe and old broken down little red tractor were hauled off last week. DH spent more time fixing them than using them.

And he's been spending a lot of time with his new toy

I told him he's spoiled now - this one has a radio and an air-conditioner! He's walking in high cotton now! Makes things a little more bearable while we eagerly await the next big rain.

Until then, we'll just soak up the abundant blessings that have been bestowed upon us...



9 comments:

smithcindyk said...

Love your post!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Whew!! You do have the heat.... I'd be working in the AC too haha!! Skeet looks cool.. he's got it all figured out.

ytsmom said...

Hope rain comes your way soon. We were so very dry, but luckily did receive some good rains.

Chris said...

I so enjoy reading your posts! I can't imagine living where you do--I'm an Idaho (north) girl born and bred and love our seasons and (usually) cooler summer nights. And energy? Well, we're both in our seventies now (how ever did that happen?!) and as my husband says, "Here's another two-hour job that just took me three days." But as I tell him, at least we're getting it done! And new tools certainly help. Congratulations on your husband's new fun toy (as we call them here)!

Sherrill said...

I bet Skeet would've rather have posed IN the water up to his neck! HA We are right there with you temp wise though I think we've gotten a touch more rain (not that you could tell). Stay cool!!

Robin said...

I hope you get rain soon. That little tractor looks like fun, in a work kind of way.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi RW, I just read your last three posts and enjoyed them very much. I love your blocks in those blue/greens- you have an eye for combining fabrics beautifully. I love your photos as it is so different from anything I know. Though I live on 10 acres there are no cows or agriculture here, just trails for walking/riding. But we are surrounded by farms and horse boarding facilities, etc. I love Smitten Kitchen too. Great recipes. How wonderful to have a little modern convenience in the tractor too. Take Care.

RuthW in MD said...

What a wonderful set of summer photos! Especially the last one! Thank you!

Ranch Mom said...

We’ve had record setting heat here in Florida as well. I’m currently sitting in a truck with a load of hay to hail to storage. We’ve never been able to cut hay this time of year. Between the heat and the lack of rain, we’re in an unusual position at the ranch this year. I love your positive perspective though. Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...