Thursday, September 21, 2023

You're Just Ducky Baby Quilt

 We're adding to the family! 

And it's a boy! Let the baby quilt making commence! Our girl said they wanted to decorate the baby's room with a few antique duck decoys so I went on a duck hunt. 😉When I saw this print I was smitten, Alas, it's a spoonflower print and those are pricey, but I simply could not get it out of my head so I splurged.

I decided to recreate a quilt I designed a few years ago

I didn't keep notes so this time I tried to document my process because I really like this design for novelty prints and I'll have something to refer back to when I make it again. 

                                         

I wanted it bigger so I started with 6 1/2" squares  (25). I pulled 3 fabrics from my stash that I thought coordinated well.

I cut 7 1/4" squares: 10 plaid cream

                                   8 green dot

                                   6 brown stitch

Then I made HSTs:  12 cream/green

                                   8 cream/brown

                                   4 green/brown

Next, I turned those into QSTs: 16 of these

And 8 of these:

I added a 1-1/2" brown border and a 5" outer border with cornerstones, resulting in a 50"x50" quilt

I backed it with this minky which is the perfect color, but I'm not going to recommend it because I'm pretty sure it was horrible to quilt. 


Sandy is a saint to have tackled it. I wish she'd of said something though because I would have chosen something else had I known. I felt awful. I use minky on baby quilts a lot and yes, there is some fuzz, but this stuff was EVERYWHERE. It's a Cuddle - so not an off-brand. Once I stitched on the binding I cleaned out my machine. That green fuzz is like glitter and I'll probably be finding poofs of it forever. 

                                                                                     

  And it seems even thicker than regular Minky - I had to cut a 3" binding to insure everything was secured. 

                                              

Horrible stuff to work with, but it will be the cuddliest quilt ever!

    

Sandy worked her magic with a design called Happy Times

                                           

The baby shower was this weekend

And we're counting the days until Baby W's arrival!

                             

9 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Cute baby quilt, I'm sure it will be loved. You'll need to make a baby quilt or two to have at your home for when the baby comes to visit, happy stitching!

smithcindyk said...

Gorgeous quilt and those ducks are so cute! Good choice. Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

I do believe the Ward brothers were known in the carving world for their decoys. Dotti in CT

Janna and Mike said...

Adorable quilt and yes minky is awful stuff to longarm but those big machines do handle it just fine. Congratulations to all!!

Kigwit said...

Congratulations on the new grandbaby! and the quilt is adorable. Minky is wonderful on a finished quilt but personally I can't stand working on it. Even when it is quilted by someone else the binding is so difficult!

Anonymous said...

Aren't you all lucky - another grand baby! Great quilt too, I can see why you had to have the duck print, pricey or not! Very exciting times!

Ceci

Robin said...

Delightful quilt, I love the ducks, I don't blame you for splurging. Sorry the fuzzy fabric was so difficult.

Meredith said...

Love this quilt! Perfect fabric, too; lots of fun things for the new baby to look at. I’m not a Minky fan because of the mess, but it will be cuddly for sure. Grandchildren are the best!

Terry said...

Congratulations on your new little one! You will be the perfect grandmother.

Have you tried "Fireside" by Moda? It's butttery soft like minky, but not stretchy. Its much easier to quilt, even with a domestic machine. Fat Quarter Shop (and others) have it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...