Wednesday, October 25, 2023

A New Look at the Stash

 I haven't had a single minute to sew this month. I've been trying to bind a baby quilt for about 6 weeks now. LOL. 

But there were miscellaneous piles of this and that teetering on shelves and counters in my sewing room and I knew it was time to put things back in order. Occasionally, I will pick up fat quarter bundles or Layer Cakes - especially when they are on sale - recently, I stumbled upon some Love You S'more Layer Cakes for $15.00!!

But I keep most of my stash corralled in bins - mostly by color, although I keep Christmas, Western, Floral, 30's, Novelty, Plaids, and Reproduction prints in their own bins. I have lots of smaller bins I keep stacked behind a quilt ladder for individual collections I want to keep together like my Songbook fabrics, Bramble Patch, fabrics for another Americana Quilt, solid fabrics, ginghams, some strips, and just various projects

One of my favorite things to do is to rifle through my bins and pull fabrics for the current project. Here's a typical bin

Recently, I thought I'd fold things differently in this bin. It took some time, but I think I'm really going to like this new way of storing my fabrics

A few days later I tackled the pinks and purples

And later, the reds

My greens were about to stage a mutiny:


Proof I really don't need any more fabric - these bins are stuffed

Blacks and grays are up next and I need to pick up another bin for low volume prints. 

My blues and browns are in larger, deeper bins so this won't work for those, but one of these days I hope to have a few more of the Sam's metal industrial shelves and matching bins that are not as deep in order to fold those too. Hmmm...I may just look for a shallow tote that fits into deeper ones and have 2 layers. The shallow tote would be easy to lift out to access the lower layer...

I'm not even sewing these days, but I'm hoping this will help me use more of what I have when I do get back to sewing because sorting through all of it made me realize that I really DO love what I have and I have more than enough!

4 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Just touching and loving fabric is refreshing when there isn't time for sewing. Neatly arranged fabric always looks so nice!

RuthW in MD said...

I was just looking up at my bins the other day and thinking, hmm, that blue bin is awfully full, and so is the green one. Perhaps I, too, could simply refold the fabric so I can see every single one from the top! What a great idea! Thank you!

Violet said...

I realized after a trip to a fabric store that I had become a hoarder. I walked out with about $300 worth of fabric with no clue as to how I was going to use it. I have 5 floor to ceiling shelves filled with fabric that would take me years to use up. I suddenly felt like I was not being a good steward of what I had. So, for the last several months I put myself on a buying moratorium and have been using what I have. It's a challenge at times, but a good feeling.

Shepherdess55 said...

Given the cost of fabric these days a stash is like money in the bank. I like how you sorted by color and folded so you can see each fabric at a glance.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...