Monday, February 19, 2024

Just a Hodge Podge of Odds and Ends

 I love writing my little posts here, and it's hard to believe I've been writing for over 16 years. I know so many folks have moved over to other social media platforms, but I'm glad I've continued here. I feel like this just fits for me. Alas, some times I struggle to get things written to post and this space is neglected. 

All is well here, we've just been filling our days and at the end of the day, I am simply too tired to compile a coherent post. Last weekend we made 4 trips to town in two days for the Safari Club Banquet. 

DH is on the board and we both help set up, take down, and work the banquet. All 500 tickets are always sold out. It's such a great group of folks, but DH and I are peopled-out by the time all is said and done.

Then we butchered a beef yesterday.   

                               

It was 19° when we stepped out in the morning and we about froze. 

I'll share a little side story here that I remembered when I was freezing this morning.

I was on the meat judging team when I was in college and we had to drive 3 hours one way every Saturday morning to the locker plant to practice. Then we spent 3 or 4 hours in aforementioned locker plant judging carcasses and taking notes so that we could write up sets of reasons and present them to our coach. Needless to say, we were all frozen by the time we emerged and we all traipsed to the Wendy's across the way for bowls of hot chili in an attempt to thaw out, before piling back into the van for the return trip. I'm not a big chili fan and I'm pretty sure those Saturday excursions are to blame. 😉

We spent most of Sunday cutting and wrapping meat. It wore us out, but our freezer is full. By the time we were finished, we were sick of meat and we were too tired to cook any. Pictured below is just a small portion of the roasts waiting for me to wrap them in freezer paper.


Our weather is just odd this winter. Our high was 34° on Saturday and in a  few days it will be 80°...in February!

It's been a horribly dry winter with just a few days of hard frost


Not much sewing taking place these days, but I did manage to finish binding a quilt Saturday evening so I'll have one to share as soon as I can get photos taken.


Today's going to be another long day at the sale barn. Cattle prices are through the roof and I guess everyone is taking advantage of that because there are a lot of cattle selling each week. They're calling for 1900 head today. That's a lot for this time of the year. My job's not rocket science, but with the exception of lunch and a potty break or two, it's non-stop and we're looking at 9 or 10 hours tomorrow. If you've ever been to a sale barn, you know how fast-paced it is. I really like my job, but I'm glad it's just one day a week because at my age, I'm wiped out at the end of the day. But life is good and I have so much to be thankful for each day!

4 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

You don't let your meat age after butchering? We have our meat hang a week before cutting and freezing. Those steaks will be delicious next summer!

Lindah said...

16 years! Wow, I'm not sure how long I have been reading your posts. I believe I found you just before your last trip to Africa. I've been reading ever since. I'm sure glad you have not moved on and thankful you still are posting. Your blog is one of the few that I check every night for new posts. My hub is a farmer and ag teacher; also acquainted with cattle and horses. I grew up with horses. We now live in a small town and I am seldom on the farm, so I really miss it all. I am not as mobile at 85 as I once was. hub is like the little pink bunny, just keeps going on. Sez he will die if he quits. Wish we could send you some of this season's excess rain. It is lovely to have the reservoir lapping at the top for a change. And still it is raining! And so, I quilt on. Can't seem to get interested in housework when it is so rainy and dark. ;o) What long work days you have! Sounds like 2 or 3 work days rolled up in one. But it does sound interesting. But 1900 head processed in one day. That sounds stressful, for sure. Thank you again for continuing the blog.
Blessings!

Shirley said...

Such load of meat, I can’t imagine the size of your freezer, not one like I have with seven drawers. Over here in the Netherlands we also had unusual warm weather and back to normal within a few days, and lots of rain.

Anonymous said...

Butchering is a huge job. My parents used to do pork and chickens but beef went to the locker plant. Needless to say, we ate more pork and chicken due to the cost of processing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...