Saturday, February 24, 2024

Seascape Quilt

Today I'm sharing the second blue-green quilt in a series of three. Last summer, I started pulling fabrics for a blue-green quilt for a Christmas gift and when I started to take stock of those fabrics, I realized they were busting out of their bins so I went looking for projects that would whittle them down enough to make the lids fit. I figured if I was already pulling all these fabrics, it would be more efficient if I cut for multiple quilts. I posted more about the origins of these quilts HERE

I just finished the first quilt last month and I posted about it HERE

This one is made of framed square blocks. I didn't use a pattern, just started with a 5" center square and framed them with 2 1/2" strips.

                                

 I made 110 blocks and set them 10 x 11.

It looks washed out against the blue tin, but that's the only place I've got  to hang a quilt this size. At 85" x 94" it'll be a good picnic size. It'll also fit nicely on one of the beds in a guestroom, but I generally just keep a cream spread on the guest beds and lay a folded quilt across the foot of the bed. 

Jackie and Sandy quilted a pretty design called Bora Bora across it. 

I backed it with this fun wide fabric I found online

 and pulled this teal green from my stash for the binding.

I love the way these blues and greens play together

There is nothing blue or green in our home, but goodness, I had so much fun sewing with these! And I really like this simple design - I think it shows off the fabrics so nicely. 

8 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I like simple designs, they highlight the fabrics better. A lovely quilt and I'm sure it will get used when you have guests/family. Happy stitching!

Momma Llama said...

A great quilt that has a tranquil feel to it. The square in a square block is a great, quick block that really works to lighten the volume of the stash.
I found a super quick pattern on Pinterest, that uses a 10'' square and a 5'' square to make the same block. No cutting strips.

Thanks for more inspiration.

Donna said...

I love that block; have made several quilts using it. The colors are beautiful and the backing is perfect! Glad you’re enjoying some quilting time!

ytsmom said...

Blue and green together are so calming. Very pretty

Lindah said...

Lovely colors and fabrics. Refreshing! The simple patterns show them off beautifully. You do such lovely work.

cityquilter grace said...

it is very pretty indeed...

Julierose said...

this really came out so beautifully--nice work!! Loving all those "seaside" blues and greens together...hugs, Julierose

Cheryl said...

Thinking of you and praying you are not in the fire area.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...