Monday, January 15, 2024

Mountain Lake Quilt

 I keep a lot of my fabrics sorted by color and last year my blue and green bins would no longer close so I came up with a plan that would hopefully make a dent and leave me with bins that would close. Since I was pulling and cutting a lot of fabrics, I decided to make a couple quilts and 2 quilts turned into 3. This is the first one. I didn't use a pattern, but this quilt, that I saw on Pinterest, was my inspiration - it doesn't have a link associated with it so I can't give credit to the source

 I settled on 6 1/2" blocks (unfinished). That translated to LOTS of HSTs, but I loved pulling fabrics and matching them up for each block. 

I like the versatility of HSTs. There are endless options and although I really don't enjoy piecing tops that are on point and that require a diagonal setting, it just adds a whole different dynamic to the quilt and this one was worth it. I love the end result.


I made the first 2 test blocks back in July

                                    

For some reason, I didn't take many progress photos - I guess I just got caught up in the process and sewed with reckless abandon. 😉 And I sewed a lot because the quilt is 88" x 88".

I love the scrappiness of this quilt - I really did throw anything and everything in there yet keeping the colors to blue and green kept everything from becoming too chaotic - I didn't really worry about placement - just sewed for the most part and tried not to have too many blues or greens all bunched up together. Other than that, I just let the blocks land where they landed.

Sandy used a lime green thread and quilted a design called Bora Bora. It's hard to see the quilting across the fabrics, but here's a shot in the sun that shows it a bit better.

And I backed it with this print.

I pulled a blue from my stash for the binding 

                                 

and worked on it during the National Finals Rodeo, putting it away during Christmas, and pulling it out again after the New Year.


The first finish of the New Year - 15° - waiting for the sun to climb up over the barn to warm things up a bit

Soaking up that Southwest Sunshine!


If you turn it the other way, it reminds me of mountains, thus, it has been coined Mountain Lake


14 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Mountain View is beautiful! I don't normally like green quilts but I love this one, What a great January finish!

Joy said...

Awesome name!!!

Donna said...

Beautiful quilt and it’s a scrap buster too! Love the colors!

smithcindyk said...

That’s gorgeous and that’s a lot of stitching and trimming!!

Chantal said...

I love blue and green quilts. You have a gorgeous one here. Simple blocks can make wonderful quilts too, IMHO. I am in love with it. Congrats! ;^)

loraine everard said...

Wow, love this! The colours are great, I can see one of these in my future!

Sherrill said...

Beautiful!! And that backing is gorgeous AND perfect!!

Shepherdess55 said...

Congratulations on your first finish for 2024.

Janet O. said...

It is a beauty!

Robin said...

This is wonderful! Beautiful way to use up scraps.

Julierose said...

This is really a beautiful quilt--love that blue/green vibe throughout!! Nice work hugs, Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a fabulous quilt! You really can't o wrong with a combination of blue and green.

Julie in GA said...

What a gorgeous scrappy quilt! Those are my favorite colors, and they work beautifully in this wonderful design.

Vicki...NC said...

A lovely quilt!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...