Monday, January 8, 2024

Posole (Pozole)

Last winter, DH asked if I would make Posole. This is a traditional Mexican dish. I'd never made it before, but it's a staple here in New Mexico, often served on New Years. Surely, I could figure something out. I mentioned it to my hair dresser and she told me how she makes it so I started there. I wanted to document how I made it because DH loved it and if I don't write it down, I won't remember the next time he asks for it. And the next time is now. I forgot to post this last year so I'm sure glad I wrote it down. 

I did watch some videos, but I just wasn't willing to cook pig's feet and I couldn't find any dried, whole Hominy so I used canned. It's still a little involved, but it's hard to beat a warm bowl of Posole when you've been out feeding cattle in the brutal New Mexico winter. 

Posole

Bone in Pork Shoulder

5 cans Hominy

Dried Red Chili Pods

A few Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce

5 C Low Sodium Chicken Broth

5 C water

3 minced garlic cloves

Cumin

Mexican Oregano

Thyme

1/2 C finely diced onion

I started with a 3.5#  bone-in pork shoulder. My hair dresser makes hers in the oven, but I chose to smoke mine. I seasoned it simply, with salt and pepper and some Big Ron's Seasoning that we keep around.

I smoked it at 250° until it reached an internal temperature of 165°, which took  about 3 hours. I sprayed it a few times with water as it cooked. Then I wrapped it and cooked it another couple of hours until it hit 205°. Then I let it rest, still wrapped, for about an hour before shredding it. 

While it smoked, I made the red sauce. I bought a bag of mild dried red chile pods, cut off the stems and cleaned out the seeds. Then I cooked them in a big pot of water with garlic cloves. Once they were soft, I drained the water and threw it all into the blender. Then I ran them through a fine meshed strainer, adding the sauce to a large pot. I added a tablespoon or so of Cumin, about the same or maybe a little more of Mexican Oregano, a little bit of Thyme, some finely diced, onion and about 5 C of low sodium chicken broth, along with another 5 C of water. I also added a little Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce from a can for a little heat.

I simmered that for about an hour and then added 5 cans of drained Hominy along with the smoked, shredded pork. Simmer another 30 minutes or so and let cool before placing in fridge. This soup really does benefit from sitting overnight and reheating the next day and it seems to get better with each day. The flavors intensify and deepen with time. This freezes beautifully and I like serving it with cheese quesadillas.


6 comments:

Donna said...

I have never had it but yours look delicious!

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting - I make posole with tomatillos, for a green sauce rather than red. It's hard to find fresh tomatillos around here except in mid/late summer. We had it on a trip to Colorado (maybe at Mesa Verde National Park) and it was green so ours is always green; it's a big favorite with a couple of the kids. I've also made it with chicken thighs instead of pork.

Now I need to try the red version!

Ceci

Anonymous said...

I think you mean 5 cans of Hominy not Posole. I was introduced to Pozole by my daughter-in-laws family in Texas while visiting, and knew I had to make it when I returned home to New York. I found a great recipe that is made in an Instapot and it is delicious!

Theona said...

This sounds amazing. I'm in awe of the selection of chiles you have.

Lisa said...

I find different local cuisines interesting. I have never had this dish nor heard of it before. I bet it is warming when it is cold out. Winter is here. We have snow now and expecting another 4-5 inches with 3-40 mile/hr winds. Temps by the weekend to be below zero. UHGGG. We don't have livestock but I sure feel those who do. We have a few birds left from hunting season but they are in the barn so will be okay. Stay Warm!

Rosa said...

Sounds so yummy. I am a big fan of tripe and pigs feet-- but then it isn't posole, that's menudo. My grandma used cans of hominy (#10 cans from the local grocery), but I use frozen (Bueno brand, I think) in mine. Chipotle is too smoky tasting for me, so I just use frozen red chile (also from Bueno)-- though I admit making it from dried chile pods is the better way. Lots of onions, garlic, and oregano-- plus a bit of cumin and ground coriander. Best served with lemon wedges, chopped onion, and a bit more oregano sprinkled on top! My grandma always ate hers with saltine crackers (me, too) but tortillas or sopapillas are also good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...