Saturday, January 13, 2024

Blast From the Past

 If you'll indulge me a little this morning, I have a little bit of a backstory to this post. My mom was from Vienna, Austria and she married a young Air Force GI in 1963. My Daddy was from Ulm, Germany but he joined the Air Force and they were sent to Aurora, Colorado in 1965. My mom couldn't speak English or drive a car and one of these days, I'll post about their story, but it's not pertinent to today's post.

The first week they were in Aurora, she packed me in a stroller and took me to a nearby park where she met another young German mom who had a toddler son and they became instant best friends for life. A few months later, my mom got very sick and ended up in the hospital with a collapsed lung. I stayed with Tante (Aunt in German) Frieda during the day, while my Daddy was at work, until my mom came home. On a side note - my mom's name was Elfriede too.

My mom passed away 3 years ago, but I am still in touch with Tante Frieda. We visited over the phone at Christmas and she said she was going to send me something that would make me laugh. This, along with some Christmas Stollen arrived

42 years ago today, I was on the front page of the San Antonio, Texas paper and Tante Frieda kept the page my mom sent her...for 42 YEARS! She also sent me the announcement I sent her when our son was born eight years later. I love that she still had these and sent them to me. 

My parents had that picture framed and on the wall in their home. I remember that day as if it were yesterday.

It was January 13, 1982. I was a senior in high school and such a tomboy. I was just huddled in a pen, waiting to weigh my lamb (JD) for the Stock Show. It was so cold and a guy walked by and just snapped a picture. He then told me he was a reporter for the paper and he asked my name. Never dreamed I'd be a covergirl. 😂😂 



Thanks for the walk down memory lane, Tante Frieda! I'm trying to reconcile the fact that that high school senior is turning 60 in 9 days! Don't blink!

9 comments:

Sherrill said...

Happy early birthday!! You're just a puppy..I turned 70 on the 4th. GAH!

pbrenner said...

What a fantastic story, I love that she kept the newspaper! I was born raised in San Antonio, and was going to UTSA at that time. I don't remember the snow that year, but almost exactly 3 years later SA got over 13" (Jan 1985)! Happy (early) birthday!!

RuthW in MD said...

That was so kind of your mom to share special memories with her friend. How thoughtful of Tante Frieda to send you both of those memories she had kept for so long! Best Wishes!

Ronda said...

Great story! Love the picture, too! My Iowa born and raised sister has lived nearly all of her adult life in San Antonio and I've been to visit many times.

Joy said...

Such an amazing friendship, photo and story!! Happy Happy Birthday!!

RuthW in MD said...

Oh, I stopped by AGAIN to enjoy the quilt, and wondered why DON'T BLINK was highlighted. So I CLICKED on it, and loved the SONG that played!! Thank you. Such wonderful vintage shots and videos were shown along with Chesney's song, DON'T BLINK.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a smile!! and way to go keeping the little lamb warm!! I love memories like these!! Happy Birthday!!!

Sue said...

My grandmother (Dad's mom) was also Elfriede. Her nickname was Friedel. She came to the US from Germany at 14 with her dad and little sister in 1925. My dad's name is Karl, he married my mom who also came from Germany when she was 13, in 1953. Her name was Liselotte (nickname Lotte). She just passed away 4 months ago unexpectedly, we are still reeling. I also have many Tantes!! Love your blog. Sue

Shelljo said...

KARIN! We are just a few days apart in age! I was born on the 27, in 64. Hope your birthday was a happy one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...