Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Under the Needle: January

 Time in my sewing room has been scarce this month - I think I've misplaced my sewing mojo, but I did manage to make a little progress.

I finished binding this quilt that I started last summer

And I made a binding for this quilt that I'm taking to Jackie's as soon as she calls and let's me know the 2 quilts I left with her last month are ready

I am currently binding the 2nd blue-green quilt 

And I really want to make a Kaleidoscope quilt like this one from Kitchen Table Quilting

I didn't even put it on my 2024 quilt list, but whenever I get a little time, I'm trying to spend a few minutes cutting down scraps and I'm making a pile for these blocks 

- I'm using a Kaleido-ruler instead of templates and I made 2 blocks (6"). 

I'm not very  happy with those intersections. I may try an 8" block later, but I cut out a quilt for our son and daughter-in-law and this one is a priority this year so I'm currently piecing these blocks

And while I was on a cutting spree, I cut out squares for yet another gingham quilt 


Lastly, I cut and sent out 5 yards of red fabric for a Red & White Fabric Swap. I posted about that here


I usually work like this. I have multiple projects in various stages going on at once. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea, but it works well for me. It's not often that I have large chunks of time in my sewing room, but with 15-30 minutes of time; I can pull fabrics for a new project, or cut or press or stitch or quilt or bind a little and everything moves forward just a bit closer towards a finish. 

6 comments:

Violet said...

If this is everything you get done after misplacing your sewing mojo, you're doing pretty good! I think we all can relate to a pause in our sewing lives. Sometimes mine will last for months, but it always comes back. You do beautiful work.

Sue Swank said...

What a pretty quilt. I just love scrappy quilts.

Donna said...

Looks like you are getting a lot done considering you don’t have long stretches of time to sew!

Preeti said...

Love that blue-green quilt. Such a fabulous finish. I have made a couple of kaleidoscope quilts and I can offer some advice on how to get better points. When you sew two pieces (one kite and one triangle) together, press the seam open and then make sure that the corner where the two points meet is exactly 90 degrees. If you do this with all four sets, you will get better points. Check my tutorial on Moda Bake Shop. Pay attention to Steps 7 through 11.
https://my.modafabrics.com/2017/10/esmeralda-quilt-oct-4.html

Hope that helps. Hugs, Preeti.

cityquilter grace said...

oh yeah that kaleidoscope is stirring my mojo as well...blocks look good!

Warm Quilts said...

What great "Farm Sweet Farm" and world map fabric. You are making steady progress on several projects - thank you for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...