Monday, January 22, 2024

Meanwhile Back at the Ranch

 I haven't been posting much about ranch life because we've pretty much been spending our days doing this

Still no help at North Camp so feeding 700 hd of cattle on 128,000 acres means DH is in the feed truck every day for 6-8 hours. I wish we had another feed truck because then we could divide and conquer. We had a load of cubes delivered on Monday. It arrived at night and the next morning we found this at the bulk bins

Not good. I don't know if the driver overfilled the bins and didn't get his auger turned off in time or exactly what happened. We keep our bulls in this pasture and if they had access to that pile of cake, they'd probably bloat and die. 

Very grateful we were home. 15° or not, we had to get that cleaned up so I loaded up buckets 

and shovels and DH brought the skid steer over. We shoveled cubes into the skid steer bucket until we got down close to the ground

Then DH shoveled them into the bin of the feeder

While I picked up more loose cake by hand in order to keep from shoveling up gravel and filled buckets

Crisis averted. 

Then  I ran into the house and threw together a pot of potato soup for dinner and DH brought up 30 calves that we weaned and brought over from Devil's Tank the other day and we ran them through the chute 

                                          

They were branded 


Vaccinated

And poured with Cydectin


DH unloaded a load of mineral tubs


And then it was off to make another feed run


And that's why it takes me a month to bind a quilt - I can't keep my eyes open at night. LOL.

8 comments:

loraine everard said...

Wow, I am always so fascinated by your accounts of ranch life, as it is so different from anything I have experienced, but that looks so tough! Farmers round here also seem to do a lot of work on their own, with little help. I think in the past there were a lot more people to share the work, and farms were smaller. I hope you get some extra help soon. Thank goodness your husband has you, and making all these lovely meals as well as working right alongside him.Best wishes, Loraine.x

Donna said...

Busy as usual! I don’t blame you for not staying awake to quilt! I would be in bed by 8:00! How about a picture of Skeet?

Shepherdess55 said...

There is never a lack of things needing attention on a farm or ranch.

Sherrill said...

Just 128,000 acres is staggering without considering all the driving and work involved. GAH!

Anonymous said...

So the delivery person was careless, or the dispenser thing leaked? Either way a potential disaster indeed!

Ceci

Joy in NW Iowa said...

We don’t have animals to bloat but occasionally the auger on the combine misses the wagon, or someone forgets to shut the gate on the wagon and it runs out….fun and games haha. It is miserable to get corn kernels picked up in the corn stalks tho.
We have had a real siege of frigid weather and ow it has turned around to the 20s for a low! Last week the 20 had a dash in front of it!! It was so cold and hubby was loading semis with corn! He was really cold and had so many clothes on!
Being a farmer isn’t for sissies! Take care and someday maybe someone will want to work on the ranch!

Ranch Mom said...

Your post always make me smile and realize that I'm not the only one who lives this totally unpredictable ranch life;)

Warm Quilts said...

I have so much admiration for the work that you and your DH are doing. It doesn't look like either of you have any time to schedule any 'down-time'.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...