Monday, May 27, 2024

Songbook: Fingerprints of God Quilt

 A few years ago I made this quilt for a friend's daughter as she headed off to college

She likes a Boho look so that was my excuse to buy Stephanie Sliwinski's  Songbook collection. I love Stephanie's tea towels and she showed her 1st fabric collection for Moda before it was available. I eagerly awaited for it to be released and I loved it so much that I bought a 1/2 yard bundle.

And when she came out with her sophomore collection, A New Page, I bought a fat quarter bundle. I don't have any empty bins so it sat on a shelf where I looked at it every time I walked into my sewing room and dreamed of making something. 

I am planning a quilt using the little panels at some point, but there's enough fabric for multiple projects and this quilt demanded to be made first

 

I love the scrappiness of this pattern from Erica of Kitchen Table Quilting - the triangles create such a fun movement across the quilt and I enjoyed making this so much that I'm planning another one. Here's a link to the pattern: The Cleo Quilt

Erica is the mastermind behind the Plaidish Quilt that has been so popular (it's on my list to make too). She's got a lot of great patterns in her arsenal.  

But  this Cleo pattern, was at the head of the pack so in September of last year I figured I'd try a few blocks and see if I was on the right path

                                          

Yes please! 

                                

Even trimming the blocks didn't feel like a chore

I never even really laid out the blocks when I pieced the top. I just tried to not have the same fabrics touching. I just let everything fall where it landed and I'm so pleased with the result. If you like to move blocks around, this one may make you crazy because once you start, you may be moving blocks forever, but for me, the joy is in the scrappiness that results when you just sew. Our girl happened to be home when I was in the process of piecing the top and she promptly claimed it. She's going to have quilts coming out of her ears, but that's not a bad thing. And that also means I get to make another one since this one will be living with her. 😉

I found this 108" print for the back

                                        

 and used this rust print from the line for the binding


Sandy used a quilting design called Chantilly Lace that compliments the fabrics perfectly.

At 71 x 82, it's just the right size for couch snuggles. I'm calling it Fingerprints of God, after a Stephen Curtis Chapman song that I have loved ever since he released it over 20 years ago. I don't listen to music when I sew but, the lyrics just kept replaying in my head as I worked on this.

I am just delighted with the finished quilt

Oh, these colors and prints and design are just so good together! 

5 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

This quilt is a beauty! Your daughter will treasure this quilt. Happy stitching!

Anita said...

I love this quilt. I went right over and bought this pattern. Great as a scrappy quilt

Marie Jenkins said...

Such a beautiful quilt! I also have this fabric collection awaiting a pattern choice... but no longer! You've inspired me! And your choice of backing fabric is wonderful! Please can you share who it's by? Thanks again for the inspiration!!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Don't you love it when a quilt just comes together--like it was talking to you--
I love it when an odd piece of fabric I ordered for what ever reason--is just the right piece in the next quilt--
Pretty quilt--hugs, di

cityquilter grace said...

oh yes lovely they are....very very nice

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...