Wednesday, December 17, 2008

My First Quilt!


Yes - the quilt is finished! Hurrah! Yippee! WaHoo! I'm so excited! It has been a long journey. The fabric has been patiently waiting on a shelf for some time now - 3 1/2 years to be exact. The curtains have been made for years and were quite lonely waiting for their companion piece to grace the bed, but the little family is now complete.

The process of making and completing a quilt can be compared to giving birth. It may not be quite as painful, but it takes a really long time before you are able to gaze lovingly at the finished product! LOL!

It took some finagling, but I am quite proud of the fact that DD's quilt sports 4 very clean mitered corners! Wahoo! I am so excited - I feel an acceptance speech coming on. There are so many people to thank!

~I must thank google for the video that showed me how to miter those pretty corners.
~The NFR, for televising 10 days of rodeo that gave me an excuse to sit for hours and quilt.
~My Scrapshare quilting buddies, who patiently answered my never ending questions about batting.
~My DD, who patiently, and sometimes not so patiently(grin) waited for the final stitch.
~DS and DH for enduring endless days and weeks without freshly baked cookies.
~The various and numerous quilt store personnel who patiently waited as I fretted and toiled and struggled over fabric selections.
~Cottonpicker, who without her generosity, this quilt would not be possible (thank you for lending me a sewing machine when mine took an early retirement)
~Ranch Wife, who went above and beyond the call of duty and held my hand throughout this lengthy process and still remained my friend. You can now breathe a sigh of relief. I feel as if I have sprouted quilting wings and you can now safely shove me out of the nest! Aren't you glad?!I think you created a monster. Oh - and I will one day learn to step away from the browns!

I feel a strong desire for a trip to a quilt store coming on...

Love, Dirt Road Scrapper - who is off to start another quilt and continue her search for a sewing machine!

8 comments:

agent713 said...

Beautiful! Well worth the wait!

Anonymous said...

LOVELY!!! I miss quilting..makes me wanna go round up an old one I was working on;)

Ranch wife said...

Is that beautiful, new, very first, work of art quilt hanging on a barb wire fence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~M~

Go sit in the corner...right now...and don't even think about another quilting store trip till you can learn RESPONSIBILITY!

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Countrygirl said...

Beautiful! Great work!

Anonymous said...

M's comment made me laugh! I thought the same thing. :-p

It turned out beautifully! Congratulations for a job well done and to C for finally getting her quilt!

cottonpicker said...

That quilt turned out beautiful....but wouldn't it look better on the bed??? Ha!

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Love the quilt! The colors are right up my alley! I love how it looks on the fence, even though RanchWife made you go to the corner! It's all about the careful removal of it...right?!

Pat - Arkansas said...

I love your quilt; those colors are just the ones I might have chosen were I a quilter! As far as hanging the quilt on barbed wire (or "bob-war" as some Arkies pronounce it), at least it wasn't going to blow away. I know you were very, very careful. Besides, it made a great photo!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...