Friday, December 12, 2008

I Can No Longer Deny it - I'm Getting Old

Age has never bothered me. I have friends and family who cringe and fuss over each consecutive birthday. Not me - I think birthdays are a cause for celebration and I even handled the dreaded '40' without a second thought and 2 pieces of cake! It always takes me by surprise when someone asks my age and I have to think. 44? Really? When did that happen?

Well yesterday I was rudely kicked into the real world and I realized that my age was starting to catch up with me. Recently, I have come to realize that my eyesight isn't what it once was. My new found passion for quilting has made me keenly aware of my faltering vision. It has come to the point where I cannot thread a needle and I have become a source of much amusement for my family. The other evening we were all gathered in the living room watching the NFR and I was working on DD's quilt binding (yes, I am STILL working on her quilt!). As I was attempting to thread the needle, I could hear small snickers and feel the darting glances of my loving family who apparently enjoy picking on their poor, Mama. Finally DH says (with a chuckle) to DD, "Go thread that needle for your Mama". Sigh. She does so with an amused expression on her face, a chortle, and eyes filled with laughter. Gee thanks, dear!

Alas, I was convinced to make an appointment with the Optometrist. After much air blowing, eye prodding, light flashing and chart reading he sat back and announced his diagnosis: "My dear, you have been diagnosed with a common ailment known simply as age." Hmmm...at least he didn't say 'old'.The good news is that I have 20/20 vision! I don't see how that can be since I can't read without adding extensions to my arm, but he chuckled; I submitted to the professional and he recommended a pair of simple reading glasses. I've never worn glasses. Well, you will never catch me without my sunglasses on my head, but REAL glasses? Sigh.

Dr Greg also recommended that I pick up multiple pairs of glasses. He assured me that I would now be in constant 'search' mode and forever more be asking everyone, "Have you seen my glasses?" Either he knows me better than he should or he's was making a not so subtle point about the fact that my mind was taking flight right along with my eyesight.

I began to feel myself break out into a cold sweat as I stood in front of the glass display and contemplated my choices. While waiting at Dr. Greg's office, Cotton Picker phoned and I moaned to her. She laughed. While pondering my selection of eye wear, I phoned Ranch Wife and whined to her. She laughed. Humph. Some friends. Can I get a little support here?

So after apprehensively shelling out $20 bucks for these new optical devices along with a reminder from my dear friends that I could be dropping 100s of dollars for prescription glasses, I headed home. I learned very quickly to only use these for close work and reading. Looking up at anything more than 2 feet away is guaranteed to make my stomach lurch and my head spin.

I suppose I have now officially entered middle age. Ack!

No problem - I'll always be a kid at heart and if you feel the need to call me 'four eyes' you'll be safe if you run, I can't see you if you're more than 2 feet away from me.

3 comments:

Ranch wife said...

Aw such is life...better glasses then dentures I say!

~M~

cottonpicker said...

My appointment is next Friday. If you want some real amuzement, follow me to the cash register and listen to me whine. I might even show up in front of Sam's with a cup and a sign that'll read something like "Help poor blind mamaw - she has no money or compassionate friends" Ha!

Pat - Arkansas said...

I had to start wearing glasses when I was 24. I was a bookkeeper for a bank, which required a lot of number reading. When I couldn't tell the 7's from the 4's, it was time to get help. I've been in tri-focals for about 30 years, and am blind as a betsy bug (what is a betsy bug, anyway?) without them. Can't see up close, half-way, or at a distance! *That's* getting old!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...